1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Horrible internet speed after installing Ethernet switch

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Zre6iT, Feb 8, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. Zre6iT

Zre6iT Thread Starter

So we recently got a new router, only problem was it had only one ethernet port. So I went and bought a switch, and installed it. It worked just fine on all computers in the house, except mine...

I've tried using the same cable in another computer, and it worked without any problems. So I know the fault lies with my computer, but I just can't seem to find out what it is. The connection I'm supposed to be getting is 50/20 mbps, but I get like 1,5/1,5...

For the record, it was working just fine on the old router. Only difference is the switch inbetween, really.

Update: When I woke up today, it worked for like 10-15 minutes, then it just went back to being slow... Could a program on my computer be causing this problem?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Is this switch rated 10, 100, 1000?

3. Zre6iT

Zre6iT Thread Starter

It's a gigabit switch

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's possible that your computer has a program on it. Most common cause is a peer-too-peer program like uTorrent.

5. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Is the Adapter in the PC a "Gigabit Ethernet" or a "10/100 Mb/s" adapter ?

In reference to the computer's Ethernet Adapter, instead of the Ethernet Speed and Duplex set to "Auto" see what happens if you force the Ethernet Adapter to 100MB/s Full-Duplex.
    Then check your connectivity speed - https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If it still is not good, then try again forcing the Ethernet Adapter to 100MB/s Half-Duplex.
    Then check your connectivity speed again.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222877

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice