Solved Horrible internet speed after installing Ethernet switch

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Zre6iT

So we recently got a new router, only problem was it had only one ethernet port. So I went and bought a switch, and installed it. It worked just fine on all computers in the house, except mine...

I've tried using the same cable in another computer, and it worked without any problems. So I know the fault lies with my computer, but I just can't seem to find out what it is. The connection I'm supposed to be getting is 50/20 mbps, but I get like 1,5/1,5...

For the record, it was working just fine on the old router. Only difference is the switch inbetween, really.

Update: When I woke up today, it worked for like 10-15 minutes, then it just went back to being slow... Could a program on my computer be causing this problem?

Last edited:

DaveA

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
David
Is this switch rated 10, 100, 1000?

Couriant

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
James
It's possible that your computer has a program on it. Most common cause is a peer-too-peer program like uTorrent.

First Name
David
It's a gigabit switch
Is the Adapter in the PC a "Gigabit Ethernet" or a "10/100 Mb/s" adapter ?

In reference to the computer's Ethernet Adapter, instead of the Ethernet Speed and Duplex set to "Auto" see what happens if you force the Ethernet Adapter to 100MB/s Full-Duplex.
Then check your connectivity speed - https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

If it still is not good, then try again forcing the Ethernet Adapter to 100MB/s Half-Duplex.
Then check your connectivity speed again.

Zre6iT

Turns out the switch wasn't giving out Ip's properly, and I shared Ip with someone else, problem solved

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
I'd like to know what the brand and model of switch this is. Very few switches (and I'm talking about managed switches) have the ability to act as a DHCP server.

My guess is either you or someone else had plugged into the network and reconnected after some time which your router handed out the same IP to either one of you. More advanced network equipment/DHCP servers will do a ping test on an IP it thinks is available. If it gets a ping reply, it knows not to use that IP and moves to the next available one it has in its DHCP scope.

Zre6iT

I'd like to know what the brand and model of switch this is. Very few switches (and I'm talking about managed switches) have the ability to act as a DHCP server.

My guess is either you or someone else had plugged into the network and reconnected after some time which your router handed out the same IP to either one of you. More advanced network equipment/DHCP servers will do a ping test on an IP it thinks is available. If it gets a ping reply, it knows not to use that IP and moves to the next available one it has in its DHCP scope.
Router model: TP-link Deco M5
Switch model: TP-link TL-SG108
To be honest I can't confirm that the hardware was at fault, and that it wasn't just someone using a static ip or something. I live in a student flat, and I don't speak to everyone I live with

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Just looked up the switch model. It's an unmanaged switch which means it's impossible the switch is at fault here. It's either what I said in my previous reply or as you've stated, someone set their IP to the IP address you were using.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online