1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Horrible printer problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by techkid, Jan 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. techkid

techkid Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    Hi all.

My dad brought home an old (but still working) Canon BJC-4310SP printer from his work for use here at home, since they received a new printer to replace this one (I know it works because I watched dad print off a receipt on the thing before they shut it down). He is running Windows XP at work, as we are at home, and he brought home the correct drivers for XP (it doesn't recognise it on startup like other PnP devices).

No matter what, though, the printer does nothing. I've been to the Canon website to download the drivers. The drivers I downloaded are exactly the same as the ones supplied from dad. I have uninstalled and reinstaled the drivers for the printer and the parallel port it is connected to (the printer doesn't have a USB port), but the wretched thing does not respond at all, not even to the control panel commands. The front panel light is just flashing between green and orange.

Short of trying a replacement cable (we only got the one, and I won't have money until midweek), what sort of things should I look at? Thank you in advance.

2. buckfan1

buckfan1

Your parallel port might be disable in the bios. I would start there and make sure it is set up for what ever settings are right for that printer. You should be able to get that infor from the website for the printer or the help me file on the disk.

3. techkid

techkid Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    I checked the BIOS, and the parallel port is enabled in BIOS. I cannot find any other related settings for the printer or its port.

I have just removed the printer from the laptop, to test it on my main box. It is doing the same thing. I tell you, this is probably going to be a painful problem.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    While it is entirely possible that it printed its last job before it ws brought home, I would try a different cable when you get a chance. It may not be as painfull as you think. By the way you can get new printers in the range of $39 now from many quality manufacturers.

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Something could have came loose when you moved the printer. Try the suggestions on this page (any beeping?). But dont waste too much time or money on the printer as you can pick up a new printer fairly cheaply.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/canon/bj/bjc4310.htm

6. TRS-80 vet

TRS-80 vet Account Closed

Yup! And replacement cartridges for $30 every couple of months!(n)

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    unfortunately that is the bane of using an inkjet printer of any price. If you think ink cartidges for new printers is bad you are going to be really disappointed in the prices ahead for an outdated no longer supported printer.

I no longer use inkjets. I am looking to purchase a second Laser Printer. A color laser this time. I have used my Canon MF3110 for more than six months on the toner cartridge that came with the printer. After enough printing to go through a case and a half of Paper it is still going strong.In that time I wouldhave used 6 or more Blak ink cartridges adn at least 4 color cartidges. Did I save any money? Yep enough to buy a new Toner catridge and a new Internal dvd burner for my laptop.

8. techkid

techkid Thread Starter

First Name:
    David
    Well, when I get my hands on a replacement cable, I'll give it a try. It's an odds on bet that the thing is busted, though (probably got damaged during transportation).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/435913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice