Hosed Laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

michaelfitch

My son has a Compac Presario V5000. For whatever reason he seems to be missing several drivers. The computer will not connect to the Internet via WiFi or if the cable is connected directly. Also the disk drive doesn't appear to be working. The Device Manager indicates the PCI Modem is out as and the Video Controller as well. If I can't connect to the internet, and can't run a software disk, can I still reload the drivers some way? Is this laptop hosed?

Michael

You are obviously using another computer to post this from, correct? If so, just download the drivers from the Compaq website, save to a flash drive and go from there.

You've posted in the wrong forum, so, I will request a forum move for you.

michaelfitch

Thanks for your advice. I didn't have a flash drive to try and download the drivers but I did through trial and error get the machine to connect to the internet. However, the operating system appears very unstable, many of the webpages cannot be displayed. I tried to download the drivers but I'm not sure they're all there. The disk drive will play a CD but not a DVD. I tried to download an antivirus program but the computer would not connect long enough for the download to complete. The computer is running XP. This computer may be worse than I thought. Suggestions?

If it's a cd only, then, no, it won't read DVDs.

Not sure what the connection problem is. Is it hard wired? That's the way I'd go to try to download the drivers. If you go to device manager, are there items there with exclamation marks?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online