Hosed! Reinstall Win95 or update to Win98?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Joe Brower

Howdy;

I'm trying to help a friend who has a generic PC running Win95 that is hosed in a way I've never seen before (details to follow). I'm not too up on debugging Windoze systems in general, I sure could use a hand, whether it be actual advice, pointers to locations where I could otherwise seek help, and/or if you guys have copies of any software that might be useful here. I'll try to make this as short as possible:

1) THE PROB: The PC is a 150MHz P5 PC clone running Win95, primarily used for Internet services such as email and web. It also has a Corel Office Suite installed, not Microsoft's. Everything was working fine until my friend changed ISPs. His new service provider sent him an install CD-ROM which, after it ran, caused all sorts of grief. I spent hours trying to resolve the probs, made all the more difficult by the fact that he doesn't not have ANY of the original install CDs for this system -- no Win95, no Corel Office installer, nada -- he bought this PC used and didn't get jack with it.

The system is now in a state where it won't even boot to the desktop -- the sea-green background appears, and then a dialog box pops up with "explorer" in the title bar (NOT "IEXPLORE"). The text reads "This program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down. If the problem persists, contact the program vendor." There are two buttons, "Close" and "Details".

If you click "Details", the dialog expands and displays the text "Explorer caused an illegal page fault in module <unknown> at [blah, blah, blah].
Registers [blah, blah, blah]
Bytes at [blah, blah, blah]
Stack Dump: [blah, blah, blah]

Note that this machine will still boot into MS-DOS from C: with no problems, but Windoze seems to be shot.

2) Here's what I think I need: Either a Win95 install CD-ROM or a Win98 update-to-Win95 CD-ROM. I'm thinking the latter would be better because I suspect and have also been advised that the probs stem from IE 5.5 being installed over Win95, and this leads to probs -- IE5.5 is really intended for Win98 and up.

MY MAIN CONCERN IS THAT, IF I REPLACE OR EVEN UPDATE THE OS, ALL THE APPLICATION-SPECIFIC FILES, DLLs, ETC. for all the installed apps like Corel, etc., will get whacked and need to be reinstalled as well, for which, again, he doesn't have the original disks. Oy vey!

So, so any of you guys have a Windows 95 install CD-ROM and/or a Win98 updater CD laying around somewhere that you could sell me? Or point me to where such could be obtained? It probably would be good to have both, just to see what works....

Thanks. Any and all help is appreciated,

Joe Brower

Hi,

Is there a folder on your friend's system called win95 or c:\windows\options\cabs ? If so, then the previous owner might have put a backup copy of the win95 CD onto the drive, and you could run a re-installation from there. However, it is probably a better idea to consider an upgrade, not just software, but the whole system. From experience, I have found that Windows 98 does not run well on a system as old as yours. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online