1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Host Files?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ebonner, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ebonner

ebonner Thread Starter

when I open my hosts files (through systems32 --> drivers --> etc) through notepad or word, there are no IP addresses except for 127.0.0.1 localhost.

Where are all of my hosts files? I need to view them because numerous websites won't load on my computer.

Any ideas?

2. TOGG

TOGG

It sounds as though you have found the default hosts file that comes with Windows. As far as I am aware, you have to amend the file yourself to add IP addresses or URL's you want to block, or install a third party one, such as the one that comes with Spybot Search & Destroy.

Wikipedia info here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file (which includes a list of hosts files that are available for download). I find my Spybot Hosts file by doing an 'all files and folders' search, although I'm sure there's a smarter way to get to it!

3. ebonner

ebonner Thread Starter

I don't have websites that I want to block, I just have websites that won't load (such as yahoo for my email, facebook, etc.)

Do you know any solutions to that?

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

There are several possible causes for some websites not loading. If you hosts file contains only 127.0.0.1 localhost, that isn't it. Can you provide some examples of sites that won't load?

5. ebonner

ebonner Thread Starter

yahoo, facebook, myspace, cbssports, weather.com, are a few examples.

google will open it's main page but won't let me search.

some will work and some won't. either it will say "waiting on www.___.com" in the bottom left hand corner or it will say "page cannot be displayed" or something similar.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice