1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Host Process Error

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by samaelsmith, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. samaelsmith

samaelsmith Thread Starter

Help please.
    My wife is experiencing stability problems on her computer which is running Vista Home Premium and is used primarily for Photoshop. Most often she will get the message "Host Process for Windows Service stopped working and was closed. A problem caused the application of stop working correctly. Windows will notify you if a solutiion is available".
    This happens fairly frequently and seemingly randomly but not often enough to reliably troubleshoot.
    Can anyone help us?

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

3. samaelsmith

Hello Linkmaster, thanks for the reply.
    Most of the suggestions in the link you provided weren't of much use. The RAM seems to be ok, there were no EMDMgmt errors, there were no problems with BITS, the computer doesn't have an ATI card, doesn't use Windows Defender, no HP printer, no Nero. Unfortunately, the problem can be intermittent so booting in safe mode doesn't show anything.
    The event logs, however, do show that every time this happens there is an application error with svchost.exe_SysMain followed almost immediately by Service Control Manager reporting the termination of:
    Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework
    Portable Device Enumerator
    Diagnostic System Host
    Desktop Window Manager Session Manager
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Tablet PC Input Service
    Superfetch
    Program Compatibility Assistant Service
    Network Connections
    Human Interface Device Access
    ReadyBoost
    Windows Audio Endpoint Builder

Any ideas on where to go from here?

4. samaelsmith

5. joeten

joeten

6. samaelsmith

Thanks joeten, that link seems to have helped pinpoint something. I don't know if everything is fixed yet because the problem is fairly intermittent but I'm hoping we've got it licked. The sfc command reported that tcpmon.ini and Windows Sidebar settings.ini were corrupted and that does seem to correspond to other's problems on the net. I replaced the files and sfc reports no problems now so hopefully that's it. But, ach! what a pain it was downloading 900 megabytes worth of programs, burning images onto DVD, dealing with convoluted (to me anyways) command lines, even creating a new partition, all to get two teeny little "known good copy" text files off the installation disk. Anyways, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and will let you know if there are anymore issues and thanks for the help.

7. joeten

joeten

hi your welcome

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/804906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice