Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hosted Exchange Server

2K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  StumpedTechy 
#1 ·
Perhaps someone could enlighten me on atvantages and disatvantages of using a hosted exchange server. My reason for looking at this is we run a company with 3 offices in different parts of the state - we could benefit from sharing calendar & contacts as well as file sharing through this network - am I understanding this correctly? Someone please shed some light on this for me...

Thanks,

Brandon

#5 ·
file sharing through this network
Please note exchange isn't really a file sharing app its a email/scheduler client.

You can however cirumvent this in a few ways......

1) Setup public folders will full read write and delete access for everyone and then have people post up files in messages that way.
2) Make your files be sent via email to everyone (takes up alot more space on the server than option 1 and is NOT recommended IMHO).
3) Setup a file share on the exchange server and basically turn your exchange server into a combination email/file server.

I would pick 1 or 3.

Just clarifying when you talk about exchange usually your talking about email serving and not file sharing.
Also note if you pick option 3 that the file share setup has NOTHING to do with the exchange server setup.

jmwills is correct in the product that looks to be what your looking for.

#6 ·
What are the requirements on Small Business Server - Premium edition - is this something that I'm going to have to keep "up" (ie maintain)? - the reason I ask is I have not experience or expertise in that area - would be happy to learn, but I want to be able to run my business without always fooling around with it or tripping over myself.

#7 ·
All servers require some maintenance I.E. user account creations and deletions. Possible reboots due to patches and other things... Also IMHO the initial setup of the server is the hardest part... once you have it at the stage you want it should be easy to maintain.

This is especially true with Exchange IMHO.

Here is a link to the premium editions hardware requirements -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/sbs/evaluation/sysreqs/default.mspx

#9 ·
I'll go take a look at it, but please go take a look at https://secure.dslextreme.com/medusa/exchange/ and let me know if this sounds like a good deal to you (or anyone) reading this thread.

I appreciate your (everyones) input and suggestions.

Brandon

#10 ·
Well look at it this way.

3-4 users is 30 to 40 bucks a month minimum after the 6 months (more if you store a ton of data on there). Also you won't be able to "file share" though you can email back and fourth files.

If you think $480 a year is worth the fact you don't have to administer it then I would jump on it.

Just some words of caution are to remember though... whenever you deal with an ouside entity you have a few service/price issues to contend with. 1) Their server uptime 2) Their policies on their spam filtering and things like that 3) If they Blacklist companies which could result in emails you want to get not being recieved. 4) If they have any fees for the yourdomain.com part this oculd be another fee tacked on. 5) How is their customer service turn around on problems?

All of these are things that are controlled a little more with keeping it in house but I can understand the reluctance to want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.