1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hosting Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sherry22160, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sherry22160

Sherry22160 Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have Virtual Skipper 4,we connect to the VSK Game Server to either join a game or Host a Game.When we Host we affectively become the Server for that Game.

I have to open TCP/IP and UDP Port 2350 to Host a Game.

My question is:

Do we "Have" to have a Static IP to "Reliably" Host Games or can we use "Dynamic" IP to host.

What are the Advantages/Disadvantages either way........

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    The only con here is that with dynamic IP address, the IP address may change and then your clients won't be able to connect. At least with the static IP address, your clients won't have to worry about the IP address changing.

So really any server SHOULD have a static IP address.

3. Sherry22160

Ok, Yes that's right
    But tell me this....

When I connect the IP Address stays the same throught the Internet Session whether it be for 10Min or 5Hrs.....is this part true.

So when I connect to the Game Server my IP whatever it is will remain throughout the Hosting sesion so as I do not have specific clients as such as anyone online at that time can join..

So under this senario is it still a dissadvantage to have a Dynamic IP.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Correct. Usually most games will ask for an IP address. If they have an IP address you gave them, but the server received a different one at some point (when the lease expired) then they won't be able to connect. Now that's on the LAN side. If it's coming through the internet, that may be different, though you would HAVE to have static in order for it to work due to NAT and port forwarding. But that's something different if you are not going through the internet.

5. Daredeval756

Daredeval756

You can use a dynamic for hosting, but if your clients add you to their favorites list, and you ip changes they will have to find you all over again.

6. Sherry22160

Ok ,I think I have it,

I believe my Router is assigned a "Static" IP by my ISP,but in my Internet Protocol TCP/IP I have it so it will "Auto" assign and IP and DNS Server.

I can host games with this setup,all seems to work.
    But the Game Forum seems to suggest a Staic IP will be more reliable for long term hosting.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, so your 'clients' has the ISP address which is what they need. However you will need to have a static address on the server because you will need to forward the gaming traffic to that server. I would suggest changing the IP address to a static one.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543257

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice