1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HOSTS file problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by suhjonathan97, Dec 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. suhjonathan97

suhjonathan97 Thread Starter

I downloaded the HOSTS file from winhelp2002.mvps.org, hoping it would better my security. However, now some pictures that used to show either show the "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." or just have the X box thing. I'm guessing this problem results from the new HOSTS file. What should I do? Should I revert to my old file? If so, then how can I do this?

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate, Service Pack 2, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72, AMD64 Family 17 Model 3 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1789 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 99180 MB;
    Motherboard: Compal, 30FB
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

2. Doug Vitale

Doug Vitale

Hi, I actually just made a blog post about this topic yesterday. If you want to revert back to the default Windows hosts file, follow the "Fix It" link to Microsoft.com.

How to block malware with the hosts file

By the way, if certain graphics are being blocked in your browser, that's probably a good thing because they are being hosted on websites that are included in the MVPS list of "parasites".

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

If memory serves me correctly the MVP hosts file download gives you instructions for using it and reverting back to your old hosts file. So RTM.

4. hewee

hewee

Any hosts file need to be keep up to date.

With a hosts file manager you can keep them updated.

http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

I use HostsMan and you can with Admin rights do everything and edite the hosts file etc.

A couple ways to deal with a site is...
    If you go to a site all the time then disable the hosts file.
    You most close the Browser down and open it again with you enable or disable or make any change to hosts file so the Browser will see the changes.

Now look and see where the images were are blocked coming from with hosts file disable.
    If you know then go to hosts file manager and open it and do a search.
    You may see some listed twice but for just images I don't think so. Twice I mean one with the www. and another without at the start of the link.
    Put a check or # to disable that link. It will now remember it even after you update and over write the hosts file with a new hosts file.

You can then also edit what hosts files you want to use because it has more then one to pick from.

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Instead of modifying the Hosts file, I use SpywareBlaster. It does basically the same thing, without touching the Hosts file. It contains 14771 items in its database, which is quite enough for me. I enjoy a relatively ad free Internet with very few noticeable errors on Web pages, and absolutely no negative effect on browsing speed.

On occasions, I'll manually add an ad hosting site to the Internet Explorer Restricted sites (that's what SpywareBlaster does + blocks a long list of tracking cookies) when a specific website is showing ads I don't want.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029510

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice