Hosts file read only

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Richard Surrey

Spybot marks my hosts file "Read Only", which is great it's a good piece of Software.

But I am trying to VPN into my work system and an entry needs to be written to the hosts file. Is there anyway of allowing this to happen?

Obviously I want to keep my system secure but I need to get into work. The VPN is by Juniper.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I've never felt the need to mark my HOSTS file R/O, and it's never been an issue. I'd just disable that Spybot option.

And if you want to make it read only again for whatever security purposes, you can always enable it again after making the changes. Sometimes with VPN you might also want to edit the LMHOSTS file. It can help with browsing and making network connections.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online