1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hot CD drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fyzbo, Apr 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

Lately my CD drive gets very hot when there is a CD in there. Even if I am not burning or reading from the disk I can hear it spinning and when I remove it it's extremely hot. Any thoughts?

2. chakorules

chakorules

Can you say FIRE HAZZARD?

I don't think that sounds normal, I'd chuck it and get a new Liteon CD-RW 52x32x52x for $35.00, beats wondering if my house will still be there when I get home.

3. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

well it actually only gets hot if there is a CD in the drive. So I have been using my other drive and leaving that one empty hoping to figure out the problem.

4. djrock

djrock

If theres a cd in the drive it will get hot or warm. I ask the same question and my friend said to have no cd in the drive when your not using it. Keeps it cool. By the way how hot? Burning your fingers hot?

djrock

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

Within reason, a warm CD-ROM is normal.
    Just make sure you have adequate case cooling.

6. Fyzbo

Fyzbo Thread Starter

that's actually the problem. The fan on my power supply is not spinning. I opened up the case and tried to move it and it was very difficult, not like a normal fan. Do you think I could spray WD40 on it or something, get it going again?

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Probably not, sounds like you should just break down and buy a new power supply.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221763

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice