Hot CD drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Fyzbo

Lately my CD drive gets very hot when there is a CD in there. Even if I am not burning or reading from the disk I can hear it spinning and when I remove it it's extremely hot. Any thoughts?

Can you say FIRE HAZZARD?

I don't think that sounds normal, I'd chuck it and get a new Liteon CD-RW 52x32x52x for $35.00, beats wondering if my house will still be there when I get home.

Fyzbo

well it actually only gets hot if there is a CD in the drive. So I have been using my other drive and leaving that one empty hoping to figure out the problem.

If theres a cd in the drive it will get hot or warm. I ask the same question and my friend said to have no cd in the drive when your not using it. Keeps it cool. By the way how hot? Burning your fingers hot?

djrock

Within reason, a warm CD-ROM is normal.
Just make sure you have adequate case cooling.

Fyzbo

that's actually the problem. The fan on my power supply is not spinning. I opened up the case and tried to move it and it was very difficult, not like a normal fan. Do you think I could spray WD40 on it or something, get it going again?

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Probably not, sounds like you should just break down and buy a new power supply.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts