1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hot HardDrive..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChfTx, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

Should a hard drive be hot to the touch?....I mean, not quit scorching, but close to it.

Thanks

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

No... Can get a little warm, but not as you're describing.

If your like most, you have the drive butted up against a floppy drive, or a cd-rom. Is there any way to move it where it's by itself on the mount and can get airflow on top and bottom. Next, I use rounded cables (you can roll and zip-tie the flat ones) because the flat cables can block airflow and make the drives or worse overheat.

3. Lurker1

Lurker1

If you are using one of the compact cases where the hard drive sits right next to the processor the hard drive can get blazing hot. Generally its better to have then running cooler. Try what gotrootdude suggests and see if there is a place for adding another case fan in your system.

4. rmay635703

rmay635703

If all else fails I believe there are drive fans but you would probably need a spare 3.5" bay to the outside.

Cheers

5. Whitestar

Whitestar

You can get water coolers that fit underneat the hd drive, but they cost a bit so mayby thats not fiesable.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It depends on the specific disk. Some of the SCSI 10k RPM drives get pretty toasty, and even a few of the 7200 RPM drives get quite warm. As a rule, the newer drives are sipping less power, and I notice that modern drives tend to run cooler.

7. ChfTx

ChfTx Thread Starter

The drive sits in the front of the case, upright, on the bottom, inside a vented holder away from all else.
    I just ran PowerMax to help partition the drive but couldn't load win98 on it cuz it told me there wasn't enough space.....? (Created a Primary partition only)..
    When I went to look at the drive, it was real hot like I said. Maybe the drive is ok and I've done something wrong?

Any thoughts?...or maybe should I start a new thread?

Thanks

BTW....it's an IBM 14.4GB drive in a Micron, P2, 400MHz

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

Oh....

This is actually an old DELL class system (Same chassis as Dell & CompUSA systems of a few years ago).

That drive is running a bit warmer than it should... while the case doesn't have the best cooling, your drive should only be warm... but some drives are warmer than others. Like my typical Maxtor 120gb. its nice and cool in my case (excellent cooling), but with the cover off and sitting on the bottom of the case (standing actually) - it gets a bit warmer. Same HD in a DELL micro-case is VERY HOT.

Pull the drive out of the system and see if she runs cooler outside the case.

- You don't need PowerMAX... is that an IBM tool? Please DO NOT use drive management software with your drive. If so, remove ALL created partitions with the tool (powermax).

Then boot with your Windows98se Floppy, and run FDISK

Create your primary partition and your extended partion.

I'd break the drive right in half... or 8000mb / and whatever is left for the extended.

Then after the reboot... (with same floppy) - format both partitions.

Then create a directory called "Win98" so its like C:\win98

Copy the same directory from the CD onto the HD. like this.

Format C (Hard drive)

When done, format the other drive (should be D)

You should be in your C: drive

Then: MD WIN98 (MD = Make Directory)
    Then: E: (If this is your CD-ROM drive letter)
    Then: CD WIN98
    Then: COPY *.* C:/WIN98
    Then: C:
    Then: CD WIN98
    Then: SETUP

Follow instructions... enter your CD-KEY

Do not delete this directory (WIN98) And you won't be bothered to insert your Windows98 CD whenever you ADD something to your system.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice