1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HOT! HOT! HOT Temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sharma7, Jul 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sharma7

Sharma7 Thread Starter

I just installed my thermal paste (removed all previous paste w/ 99% isopropyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth, and waited for the remaining alcohol to evaporate). I only touched the parts of the cpu/hsf that would not be in contact with one another.
    But still, the temps haven't changed much. I know there is a break-in period, during which temps may drop 1-5C. But my CPU temps are still too high, and anyway, the Arctic Silver 5 takes 200hr till breakin.
    Idle is around 47-50C. Full Load with Prime95 Torture Tests after 1/2hr (I was worried because the temps were too high so I shut it off) 66-68C.
    I have four 120mm case fans (2 exhaust at the top, 1 exhaust at the back, one intake at front). My case is a Silverstone Precision Series PS05-B..
    I admit, there is a bit of a difference. But its very small.. While idle, the difference is a 1 degrees or so, and when under full load the difference is 3 degrees. Though I have noticed, I don't have to take my fan cover off any more and that my PC is slightly quieter.
    I've had many threads about various problems related to thermal paste-overheating. I used to have COMPLETELY dried out thermal paste, which I replaced with Arctic Silver 5. I used a small blob, and put the heatsink on top to spread out the paste, just as instructed on the AS website. Why is my PC so hot???

---All degrees above are in Celsius---

2. Sharma7

Sharma7 Thread Starter

Bumpity Bump... Shouldn't have named the thread what I did. Maybe thats whats reducing the amount of replies..
    Please help guys...

3. Sharma7

Sharma7 Thread Starter

Bump once again...

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

The conductor should be completely dry for best heat transference. Many have a Zinc Oxide base (lifegaurd noses) and it is this solid that transfers the heat.

Hopefully, you used a very thin coat since the paste dows not transfer heat as well as the metal-to-metal contact.

5. Sharma7

Sharma7 Thread Starter

I left the heatsink out for 15min and the CPU out for 8min to dry. I read somewhere that the purer the isopropyl alcohol, the quicker it will evaporate. I had 99% isopropyl alcohol.
    According to the Arctic Silver Website, you should not spread the paste. Instead, you should put as much as a grain of rice in the middle of your CPU, and put the heatsink on. You should wiggle the HSF, which will spread the paste and then attach it to the socket. Its supposed to be called the "middle dot" method..
    I don't want to check for a thin coat because I read on my CPU manual that the paste should be reapplied every time the HSF is removed, and I don't want to do that...

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

I've been using a single dot method for years since Intel socket 478 was released and still use it with all single, dual and quad cores.

I've never found that the Arctic Silver recommendation was enough to get adequate coverage. Whether I'm using AS5 or IC7 I've found that the amount of compound recommended at the IC7 site is better than what is recommended at the Arctic Silver site.

http://www.innovationcooling.com/applicationinstructions.htm

7. Sharma7

Sharma7 Thread Starter

Well, I used more than a grain of rice. I knew that the amount of thermal paste that you use had to be between 1 grain of rice to a bit of a larger quantity. I said "grain of rice" because I didn't know what the larger quantity was. I definetely used more than a grain of rice, and I'm pretty sure I put in the max I could before making the paste worsen the heat transfer. I'm planning on cleaning out my PC ASAP using an air-duster.. I think the heatsink & fan may have some dust in it which could be causing high temps., so I want to remove it.. Yeah...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1006873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice