Hot Phenom II X3 CPU

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tyrion

I just upgraded to the Phenom II X3 445. It's paired with a MSI 770t
I was a lucky and was able to unlock the 4th core. However, this CPU seems to run HOT!
With the stock fan it was idle 60c and hit 73c under load! The stock fan was 6000 rpm none stop. I realized I'd better purchase a better cooler and so I invested in a Katana III. The fan noise is much more pleasant and under load and temperatures now never exceed 60c but idling at 48c seems very warm to me.

The case (cooler master) is well ventilated and system temps rarely exceed 38c. Re-locking the 4th core has no effect on the CPU temp.

I'm not planning on overclocking and not bother by the 2500 rpm of Katana fan but I am worried the 60c is rather warm. Can I live with these temperatures and what is potential problem in this setup?

jiml8

My Phenom II 955 Quad Core running at stock speed (3.2 GHz) idles at 38C, while located in a room that has ambient temp around 25-28C. When I run it full bore for a half hour or so, it gets up to 50C.

It is on an Asus M4A89GTDPro/USB3 mobo with an NVidia GT240 video card (which idles around 42C and always stays below 60C no matter how hard I hit it), 5 SCSI drives, 2 DVD burners in an Antec P182 case equipped with 4 120mm fans and 3 40 mm fans (HD cooler).

The heatsink is an Evercool Transformer 4 equipped with 2 120 mm fans that turn at about 1000 RPM and are not adjustable. This heatsink is quite large and very quiet. It doesn't get very good ratings when used with Intel chips, but works quite well with AMD chips. This is apparently because of the different sizes of heat spreaders between Intel and AMD chips; this heat sink has 4 heat pipes and the smaller heat spreader on the Intel chips only partly contacts the outer two heat pipes in this heat sink. With the AMD heat sink, all 4 heat pipes are in full contact. If you were to use this heat sink for serious overclocking, replacing the fans with faster fans probably would enhance the performance of the heat sink considerably. I have found it to be unnecessary for my setup.

The Phenom-II chip is rated for a continuous maximum temp of about 65C. If you are routinely showing 60C, then you certainly have a problem. Possibly your sensors are off. Alternatively, you are not properly applying thermal compound to the chip. Also, very possibly, your airflow through the box is not efficient. My system turns out to be very efficient in how it moves the air, but I paid a lot of attention to that detail the last time I upgraded and my choice of heat sink, in part, was because those fans would push air the right direction to work with the case fans and not against them.

EDIT:

I just googled and there is no Phenom II 445. There is an Athlon II 445.

The Athlon family runs hotter than the Phenom II chips. I googled further and discovered the Athlon is rated for a maximum temp of 75C, not 65C like the Phenom. So, you are not "on the edge" but you still don't have much headroom, and your processor should run cooler than that.

My quad core is an upgrade, replacing an earlier Athlon 2700 chip and Asus mobo in the same case. That Athlon, mildly overclocked and with the stock cooler on it, ran around 50-52C using the same power supply and in the same case as the current system. However, the air flow in that older system was nothing like so well organized as it is in this upgraded system.

Tyrion

My old mobo was a gigabyte ds34 with c2d e6550 witch I over clocked about ten percent. I used the stock for that one and it never went over 48c. Therefore I don't think my case ventilation is not an issue as I said before... especially since the case temp remains cool.

This is what Speed Fan is giving me right now

Temp1 44c
temp2 -128c
temp3 40 c

I believe the first is the cpu the second.... I have no idea... makes me think you might be right about the sensor thing... and the third is the case.

My CPU never went over 60c even after 8 hours of torture test so I am wondering if its a problem?

I did apply appropriate levels of arctic silver five (equivalent to 1 bb pellet)

If its a sensor problem what can I do?

Any more ideas?

Tyrion

Check the temps in Bios under PC Health.
The temps are just about the same except there is no -178 reading... I guess that means I don't have any liquid nitrogen in my system... to bad.

Tyrion

locking or unlocking the 4 core only seems to have a 1or 2c effect on the temp

Hello there, I was going to suggest a bios update for this but it seems as though the Phenom II x3 should run fine on the oldest bios anyway. I am not sure any more. Someone else will most likely take over this thread now.

Jack-O-Bytes

Tyrion

I'm not sure if this helps but the copper pipes on the cpu heatsink when running 55c is not especially hot to the touch however my GPU heatsink when running at the same temperature, the copper piping on that heatsink feels to hot to touch.

I can deduce the very tight contact between the Heatsink and the cpu by the spreading of the thermal paste.

Is it just me or is looking like a sensor issue?

I had the same sort of issue with a computer not long ago. That turned out to be a bios update needed but I am not sure as to whether it is worth the risk on your computer as MSI says that the CPU that you are running should work with the oldest bios for that board. You could try a BIOS update if you would like to and see if that helps solve things.
You can use the MSI live update which will update the bios from inside windows according to their site.

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloadfile&dno=4862&type=utility

Jack-O-Bytes

Frank4d

Retired Trusted Advisor
I have the Phenom II X3 920 it idles at about 23 ºC according to both Speedfan and the AMD Overdrive utility. That is about the current room temperature so I am not sure I trust the numbers.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online