hot spot wireless

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jazzmaster44

Have a lab top computer, with a wireless card in it. However, when I am in the hot spot for free wireless connection. I am having problems logging in, the lab top recognize the connection. But, how do I log in?

Thanks!!

Chances are you have your network settings all unholy and unfit for true Wifi.
Who runs the network? Can you contact them? What settings are you running.

To find thy answer, one must be more descriptive.
Monk

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You need to disable any encryption, and enable automatic IP and DNS addresses, that should suffice for many hotspots. One issue I've found with some of the airport hotspots, they don't connect to 802.11g cards at all, even though they're supposed to be compatible with 802.11b networks. I spend about an hour at Denver trying to connect on a long layover until I called their help line and found out that it doesn't work. :(

No G-power?
I believe it...

If it's a free WLAN, you should be able to pull up what's called a "captive portal" - typically, this consists of a webpage in your browser that makes you agree to the rules the net gods set in place.

Sometimes, it could be WEP with the key provided...othertimes it's Shared with no-key at all, etc. Play with the settings (encryption settings, that is)
until you find the right combo.

That's the only way I can get online on Portland State's net.
Monk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online