1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hotbar

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Ziggy1, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

Sorry if this thread is in the wrong discussion forum:

I just downloaded Hotbar, I know it is considered spyware. But I'm on the losing end of an argument since My WIFE's whole family is using it!!!:mad:

I read the agreement where it says they collect personal info but is kept separate ;)

I have Norton firewall so I know when an application attempts to connect to the internet, and this program seems to do so as soon as I turn the computer on.

Also is there a way ( a program?) that can give you details of what a particular program may be sending from your computer? I always hear about the various programs with spyware but would be interested to know what they are collecting and when.

I use Kazaa lite for this reason but now I have to do some convincing to get rid of this program if it is really not recommended.

Anyways I only found a few threads that talk about it so if any one has an opinion about it I'd like to here about it.

Thanks for you comments

Ziggy

2. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

Get them to read THIS it oughta convince them, but maybe not, I have a friend who refuses to dump it even though he knows it's spyware...good luck...Rhett

3. $teve

$teve

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you want a free packet sniffer that will allow you to see everything going on, here's a good one. ethereal

5. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

Thanks guy's

I'm going to pass the info, it looks like it is a pain to uninstall.

I'll have to run spybot to kill it

Thanks

Ziggy

6. $teve

$teve

it should be in add/remove programs..........remove it from there and then run spybot to take out anything left.

7. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    As a former user of hotbar, I can honestly say that I did like being able to 'dress up' my IE. But, I'm just one of those people who thinks that my computer is nobody's business but mine! No more hotbar now...but I do have this little plugin from MS... http://downloads-zdnet.com.com/3000-2378-906449.html?tag=lst-0-2

I'm now running IE6 and it still works. Just going to have to re-do all of my skins that I had made. I've had no problems with it either. And so far, my firewall hasn't said that anybody's spying on me because of it! :D
    JustMe2

8. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

There is no listing in the add/Remove programs and no un-installer.

This program doesn't really install like normal programs it just seems to integrate itself with Outlook and Explorer.

So I figure I'll use Spybot to disable it and then dig it out of the registry.

Ziggy

9. suzi

suzi

10. Ziggy1

Ziggy1 Thread Starter

I ran Spybot and it identified around 100 entries for Hotbar. Spy bot successfully removed all entries, and every thing seems back to normal.

This is the first time I used SpyBot to remove spy ware, I've used Adware previously, but it is outdated as recommended by many on this site. The one thing I liked about it was that you could restore any changes it made where spybot does not (or does it?).

Thanks again 4 the replies

Ziggy

11. jm100dm

jm100dm

Yes you can restore from spybot. Go to settings and then settings and see your options.

12. GreenIs

GreenIs

I swear, when am I going to learn to check out a software here before I download it. OK off I go to rid myself of Hotbar... it's been freezing my computer up but hearing it is also a spyware...gees! figure tho' with the microsoft approval on it.

13. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    GreenIs,
    There are several listed at download.com. joe2cool was thinking about using this one here a while back. Not sure if he ever did though. koolbar

JustMe2

14. GreenIs

GreenIs

Thanks JustMe. I'll check it out. It would be nice to have a program that works well and doesn't invade the privacy issues. :)

15. Rhettman5.1

Rhettman5.1

I don't think Microsoft approved it, Hotbar just made it APPEAR that they did..usually you get the little download message when you recieve a mail from a hotbar user...and then you send it on when you send mail using it...clever little buggers aren't they ! :mad: ...Rhett

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116616

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice