1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hotkey to paste text?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by schmooot, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schmooot

schmooot Thread Starter

Hey guys just wondering if this is possible. WIndows XP, I want to assign a hotkey to paste a certain text. Kind of like how the character map has alt+0189 or something to automatically paste certain characters, I want to be able to press a small combination and have it windows insert a preset block of text. Is this possible? I have searched around in the character map and there is an editor where you can make your own characters and assign keys to them but I cannot do it with an entire block of text. If anybody knows how to do this please let me know. thanks

2. Jag11

Jag11

I don't know how to that exactly the way you want to do it.

Maybe I can suggest a different way...

Open your Notepad, or any other text editor, and then type in your "block of text" or the words you wanted, then save it to a safe place. Then right click on it, then select Send to > Desktop (create shortcut).

Now go to your Desktop and find that shortcut you've just made, right click on it and then select Properties, this will open the properties of the shortcut, click the Shortcut tab and find the Shortcut Key option there. Now, you can assign any hotkey you want, when you're finish, click OK.

Okay, you're finish, once you do the hotkey you've assign, it will notepad containing the words you want to paste. (y)

--

I don't know if there are other ways, but that's what I know, and I think the most basic one.

Hope that helps [​IMG]

3. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I will Send a PM to JohnWill. If I remember correctly he uses a program that he keeps a bunch of stuff on a clipboard all the time and I believe there is a way to assign keys to the stuff on the clipboard.

4. schmooot

schmooot Thread Starter

thats exactly what I want. thanks

jag11: sorry that just opens up the notepad document when I assign and use the key. thanks anyways though

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I currently use Clipboard Buddy, but it doesn't have hot-keys. It lives in the System Tray and you just select the clip you want to paste. It's free, so it's painless to take a look.

There are literally hundreds of these utilities, someday I'll find the perfect one. :)

6. schmooot

schmooot Thread Starter

thanks I'll try that one. And when you find the perfect one I wanna know about it

7. JohnWill

I'll tell the world. :D

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yankee Clipper used to be the one I liked best after trying 20 or more, but just recently switched to ClipMate for a few extra features I wanted, like hotkeys.

9. schmooot

schmooot Thread Starter

clipmate eh? checking...

10. imjerry

imjerry

For about 3 years now!! It is published by Thornsoft.com!! The owner is a really nice guy Named Chris Thornton, well worth the price, first thing I install after Zone Alarm W/ anti Virus!!

My complete endorsement !!!

11. JohnWill

I've eyed ClipMate, but I'm too cheap to buy it. :)

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have it set to make a backup daily and that has come in handy a few times since the thing locked up and would only paste one clip regardless of which one I tried to paste.

Reinstalling fixed it, but if it happens too much, I'll start wondering if it is worth the trouble.

13. JohnWill

I'm kinda' glad I didn't open my wallet! :D

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413720

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice