1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hotmail change to outlook.com

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by RLGipe, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RLGipe

RLGipe Thread Starter

I currently use outlook 2003 as my email client. If I change my hotmail email to the new outlook.com address will my outlook 2003 still work? and will it make the changes in the software or will I need to change it.?

2. ETech7

ETech7

If you register the new email at outlook.com you will have to add that account to outlook software, if you just change the look of your current hotmail account, then no changes has to be made in the desktop software.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Only if you want to use a client. Outlook.com acts the same way as Hotmail, just a new look and web address. They are trying to conform with Windows 8 Mail program.

The settings in Outlook / any client should not need to be changed.

4. ETech7

ETech7

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    I am aware of that. What you wrote made it look like if you create a new account you have to use Outlook ;) I just wanted to clarify for the OP and other members here that you don't require to use Outlook for the outlook.com E-Mail.

6. ETech7

ETech7

I just meant that "If I change my hotmail email to the new outlook.com addres" you will have to add that ne outlook.com account to Outlook software, because it's not the same as @hotmail.com account.

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  8. ETech7

ETech7

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    OK, I think I see the confusion now... so let me set this straight :)

When you log into Hotmail, it will give you the option to switch to the outlook.com format. When you do this, the username/email is the same, just you can log into outlook.com with your hotmail.com account. If you log into hotmail.com instead, the webpage will show the outlook.com format.

So with a client, if you did the switch, Outlook will need no changes.

If you created an outlook.com email account AND you do not want your hotmail.com account to come to your email client, all you change in the properties of the email account is the username and password since all of the server settings (outgoing/incoming etc) are the same.

If you created an outlook.com email account AND you do want your hotmail.com account to come to your email client, then you would add the outlook.com as a separate account.

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Interestingly though, if you go to hotmail.com and sign up there, you can do only a hotmail or live.com account...

11. ETech7

ETech7

Not sure about live... But yes, when you change to outlook format that is just it, the interface of your webpage changes, but username is still @hotmail.com and you don't need to change settings in a client. Something like a theme in gmail I guess.

12. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    It's all the same... same email server but different domains.

13. williambjacobs

williambjacobs

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice