hotmail default language

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johncharles1106

I recently experimented with the default language of Internet Explorer 5.5 while I was accessing my Hotmail account.

Using the View->Encoding->Autoselect feature, I set the language to Chinese. My Hotmail tabs and navigation buttons are now in Chinese.

I have returned to the Autoselect feature to change the language back to Western European (Windows). The language changes from Chinese to a mixture of western-like symbols (with umlauts, french accents, etc.) but NOT English.

Whenever I log on to my Hotmail account, the encoding is always back to Chinese regardless of how many times I have reset it to W. European.

I reinstalled IE5.5 but the language problem remains.

I have another Hotmail account that is in English; it was never affected by the experimentation I did with the other account.

Any ideas??

Thank you,

John

Also, do you see Western European (ISO) anywhere? Click it. That should have been the default.

And welcome to TSG. :)

johncharles1106

Thanks for your replies.

When I use W. European (ISO) or autoselect, I get the
western-like garble, not the english-language "reply,"
and "forward," tab labels or the "delete," etc. buttons.

When I select Unicode, the screen blinks and I get the
Chinese back (View->Encoding->Chinese Simplified is
also selected again).

Just to check my process:

I deselect View->Encoding->Autoselect
and then select, say, W. European (ISO) from
the drop-down menu.

As for User-defined, what else must I do to use this?

Thanks again. Happy New Years to you all.

John

Not sure. I dont show an auto select feature. I changed mine to see what happened and had to restart OE after selecting W.Euro (ISO). Open your control panel and check regional settings to see what it says.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online