1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hotmail emails will not open...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by tanweather, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tanweather

tanweather Thread Starter

I have just installed Windows XP Pro and all is well EXCEPT that when I log into Hotmail via Internet Explorer, I cannot open any email (although I can see them all). Also, when using Internet Explorer and scrolling down a page - it lags behind. It's slow to move down a page...? I have done all Windows updates and still no good. Any suggestions?

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

What do you mean by "can't open but can see"? Do you get any error message? What is your graphics card? How much RAM? What screen resolutiuon do you use?

3. tanweather

I can access Hotmail and see Contacts, Mail etc..., but when I go to click on an email - nothing happens... no error messages or anything.

System: Windows XP Pro 2002 (Service Pack 1) / 1.74 GHz / 512 MB of RAM

Graphics Card: ? (sorry to be ignorant - but where do you look?)

Screen Resolution: 1024 by 768 pixels

4. tanweather

I think the scrolling issue with IE has to do with the graphics hardware (maybe due to updates?) becasue when I went to troubleshoot the Display Properties (Settings - Advanced)... I selected the Hardware acceleration (acceleration and performance supplied by graphics hardware) to None and IE seemed to work a bit better (not as much lag). Any suggestion as to how I can refresh or re-install the graphics hardware? Or am I completely off base? Any suggestions?

5. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Check to make sure the mouse cursor shadow is turned off. That can cause scroll-lag.

start
    settings
    control panel
    mouse
    pointers tab
    uncheck ponter shadow

Then, in IE, click on:

tools
    internet options
    security tab
    internet zone
    default level button

While you have interent options open, go to the advanced tab and turn of smooth scrolling.

If IE still doesn't work with hotmail, use Firefox .

If you have Norton antivirus and or firewall, disable it and then try hotmail.

6. foolio

foolio

I agree with shadow but with the Hotmail messages won't open i don't understand :S

Do you have a firewall? or Norton installed if so then lower it (not much thou!!)

7. tanweather

As far as the Hotmail - I tried everything! But since installing Mozilla - everything works just fine!! Even Internet Explorer - Go figure! Could that have been a javascript problem?

Shadow2531: It wasn't so much a shadow - but a lag....
    I tried all those you suggested, but all that seemed to work was..

Control Panel
    Display Properties
    Settings ... Advanced
    Troubleshoot.... then move Hardware acceleration slider to None!
    (Disables all accelerations. Use this setting only if your computer frequently stops responding or has other severe problem.)

8. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

You can get comprehensive hardware info using Aida32

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/212134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice