1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hotmail in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Robyn Tang, Aug 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Robyn Tang

Robyn Tang Thread Starter

I just set up my hotmail account in Outlook Express (6.0) but when I try to download the folders, I keep getting this prompt every few seconds:

[​IMG]

It's driving me crazy. I don't know whether its my computer, my internet connection, Hotmail or OE that's causing this to happen. I previously have been able to successfully create my Hotmail account in OE, but it doesn't seem to work this time around.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :)

2. RandyG

RandyG

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

First thing to try is to remove the @hotmail.com and try it then.

3. Robyn Tang

I've tried it, but it hasn't had any effect. The window is still popping up.. :(

4. RandyG

RandyG

If you are positive that you have created the account fine, and you have done so correctly in the past, the password is correct, as is the user name (BTW, are you the same person as this member? same name is why I ask), can you at least connect to the mails via the internet?

Have you tried deleting and recreating the account?

I do know that you always see this message if an ISP server is down. It is a standard for Pop mail users to see this, think it is their system, when it is actually a problem with the ISP. I have no idea whether that also is the case with http mail. I don't use it.

Are you using more than one hotmail account in OE? What Operating System are you running?

5. Robyn Tang

Nope, I'm not that person..quite a newbie here.

It was the first thing I tried - deleting and recreating the account and I did it several times. The same situation still occurs.

I just have the one hotmail account. I use my ISP account in OE and that works perfectly fine.

The OS is Windows ME. I recently formatted the computer and re-installed Windows back in so I've been getting things organised here and there. When I found out about this problem, I downloaded IE and OE 6 hoping things would work out, but it hasn't.

This is quite mind boggling. Months prior to this, I had no difficulty setting up or using OE with both my ISP and Hotmail accounts.

6. RandyG

RandyG

OK, fair enough.

I don't believe it is a case of your making any mistakes in setting the account up. I do believe it may be a fault with http:\\services.msn.com\svcs\hotmail\httpmail.aspx and that is why you are getting it.

You didn't mention whether you were able to log into your mail vial MSN's site.

They don't seem to have a support site accessible by nonmembers, so you can sign and check to see if they have a reported outage, or server down time.

I don't want to create an account just to check for myself.

7. Robyn Tang

Oh, yes..I can log into my e-mail through the website. I've looked around and they haven't mentioned anything..so I don't know..

Ah well, it looks like nothing can be done. Thanks for your help anyway!

8. RandyG

RandyG

How long have you been trying, or getting this problem? It usually will not last longer than a few hours, if it is a standard server problem.

I just did a tracert on services.msn.com and came up with:
    which demonstrates my point that it would be the server.

Give it a few hours and try again. You can always try your own trace route by opening a Dos or Command Prompt window and type in tracert services.msn.com

9. Robyn Tang

I've been having this problem since yesterday. I'll see how things go..

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/93128

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice