1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

hotmail issues....

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by isishalo, Jan 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. isishalo

isishalo Thread Starter

:confused: ok, heres the deal...hotmail is not letting me log onto my computer...every time I try, it brings up an error page...I can access the internet fine through internet explorer, but no matter how I go about trying to log in to my e-mail, it won't let me in...I tried logging in on a friends computer, and was able to access my e-mail just fine, which leads me to believe that something is wrong with my computer, not hotmail...any suggestions out there??? It's a Dell computer, I'm running windows xp...not real sure if there's any other useful info I can give...please help!!!!

2. phoneguy55

phoneguy55

there might be some useful info on that "error" page you mention.

is it an error message from within hotmail,....regarding your log on info?

somehow "hotmail" might have been added to a restricted internet zone ( in winME I would look under TOOLS...INTERNET OPTIONS...SECURITY tab......RESTRICTED ZONES...and look at which sites are listed.)

I know "hotmail" has been having server problems all day today....telling me that it can't access my account at this time. I just waited a while and I got in OK....

other than that I can't think why another pc would let you in, but not your own.

If you figure it out on your own, let us know what was up.

3. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Delete the Temporary Internet Files.

4. isishalo

isishalo Thread Starter

well, deleting the temporary internet files didn't work, and I just checked the restricted zones in my computer, I have none....So I'm still at a loss....Any other ideas? it's killing my not to be able to check my e-mail...lol

5. sweetkitten

sweetkitten

What about your security level? If your computer isn't accepting cookies, Hotmail won't let you through. However, if I remember correctly, that would just keep making it refresh to the login page.

What sort of error message are you getting, exactly?

6. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

Does it work fine with all other sites? It is very likely that there is some problem with the MSN Messenger installation and it gives you errors in browser while logging in to Hotmail.

7. isishalo

isishalo Thread Starter

my security level is set to accept all cookies...and it's just a typical error page...it tells me that the website I'm looking for may be temporarily unavailable, my web connection may be temporarily slow due to traffic, I may have entered the address incorrectly, and the site may no longer exist...I've also tried to uninstall messenger, and then download and reinstall a new version...that hasn't helped...also tried clicking on the repair button....any other suggestions, short of throwing my computer out the window???? lol

8. isishalo

isishalo Thread Starter

oh, yeah.....I can access anything else I want on the internet...but absoulutely no e-mail...no one else has been able to log in to e-mail of any sort also.....

9. phoneguy55

phoneguy55

I had a secure site that would not let me in once.....couldn't figure out why......I tried this and it worked....see what happens.

In IE......go to TOOLS/INTERNET OPTIONS/ADVANCED....scroll down to the security section and be sure that you have SSL2 and SSL3 checked....these are secure socket layers that sites like Hotmail may use to keep your info more secure when logged in.

if you are unsure about doing this have a few of your friends check their systems and see if they have 'em checked.

10. isishalo

isishalo Thread Starter

both ssl2 and ssl3 are checked...still nothing...any other suggestions???

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try deleting all your cookies; you will have to reset passwords to log on afterwards. If you are accessing your Hotmail Inbox through a shortcut, go through the MSN Homepage instead; you may need to recreate the shortcut.

In XP you can find your cookies under Documents and Settings > your user name > Cookies

You should have IE closed when you do this.

What exactly is the error page you see?

12. isishalo

isishalo Thread Starter

here....I pasted the exact page for ya....this is my wonderful error page....

Internet Explorer returns an error on the address you just entered or clicked

This could be caused by:
    The Web site you are looking for may be temporarily unavailable.

Your Web connection was temporarily slow because of the traffic.

You may have entered the address incorrectly.

The site may no longer exist.

You can either click Go to try the web address again, or
    correct the address if it is misspelled and then click Go:

Or, enter the CommonName you wish to visit and click Go:

Other possible causes are:
    Some sites require 128-bit connection security. Click the Help
    menu and then click About Internet Explorer to determine
    what strength security you have installed.
    If you are trying to reach a secure site, make sure your Security
    settings can support it. Click the Tools menu, and then click
    Internet Options. On the Advanced tab, scroll to the Security
    section and check settings for SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, TLS 1.0, PCT 1.0.

I have tried logging in through the msn home page...I'll try to delete every last cookie and I'll reset my passwords and let you know what happens...

13. isishalo

isishalo Thread Starter

ok, well, I checked my security settings, everything mentioned by either you guys or my error page is checked....I don't have the PCT 1.0 option there, but SSL 2.0, SSL 3.0, and TLS 1.0 are all checked....deleted every possible cookie I could find...rebooted...still cannot access my e-mail...any other suggestions???

14. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It looks like you've got a "hijacker" installed: CommonName.

Install, update and run Spybot to get rid of it and others. When updating Spybot, you should select all updates except for Language
    and PGP stuff, which usually isn't needed.

http://tomcoyote.com/SPYBOT/

We can also have a further look at your starting configuration if you post the results of the StartupList, available here:

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

15. isishalo

isishalo Thread Starter

tried out the spy bot...still cannot access my hotmail...will check on getting my startup configuration a little later....

in the meantime, are there any other ideas out there??? I really appreciate all the help I've gotten so far, just wish we could figure it out and make it work again....thanks a lot, you guys...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice