1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hotmail not working???

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by smoke77, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. smoke77

smoke77 Thread Starter

I havent been able to log into hotmail for awhile now.Is it just me or is everyone having trouble with hotmail??

2. dk518

dk518

Hasn't worked for me either. I use OE to get my email but even the www.hotmail.com website doesn't come up. The lack of news of this is so baffling because it's been down so long, and it's a MS site!

DK

3. $teve

$teve

ive just logged in no problem.

4. smoke77

smoke77 Thread Starter

I just tried and i still couldnt get in??How can i get me outlook express to retreave my hotmail email??

5. smoke77

smoke77 Thread Starter

I just tried and i still couldnt get in??How can i get me outlook express to retreave my hotmail email??

6. jwbirdsong

jwbirdsong

One of the biggest reasons for OE to fail to connect to Hotmail is cookies being rejected because of <b>incorrectly set system clock</b>. If that is NOT the problems double check your options and make sure you are accepting cookies properly. See here for more on Can't Open

7. kapdog

kapdog

8. AtreideS

AtreideS

Have you tried going to one of the many other Hotmail sites. Here are some pages to try logging in at : http://www.ninemsn.com.au (Australian MSN), http://www.msn.co.uk (UK MSN), and http://www.msn.com (American MSN). There are also many other pages that acess the MSN and Hotmail service. Are you unable to log-in using any of the sites?

9. AtreideS

AtreideS

Also here are some suggestions from MSN Hotmail:
    "If you need help signing in, ask yourself the following questions:
    Are you having difficulty accessing your account because of a problem with your password?

Your password and/or login cannot contain any spaces.
    Your password must be at least six (6) characters long. For increased security, we recommend creating a password containing both numbers and letters.
    Your password is case sensitive, so remember which letters you capitalized.
    Are you using a browser that doesn't support cookies, or do you have cookies disabled?

Your browser must support cookies, and the option must be enabled to sign in.
    To enable cookies

Internet Explorer 5

Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
    Click the Security tab.
    Click the Internet zone.
    Select a security level other than High.
    -or-
    Click Custom Level, scroll to the Cookies section, and then click Enable for both cookie options.
    Internet Explorer 4.x

Click View, and then click Internet Options.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Scroll to the Security section.
    Under Cookies, click Always accept cookies.
    Other browsers

To see if your browser supports cookies, and for detailed instructions about how to enable this feature, see the online Help for your browser.
    If you see a message to notify you that a Web site is trying to send you a cookie when you try to sign in, you should choose to continue or you will not be able to sign in.

If your browser does not support cookies, you can upgrade to a newer browser, such as Internet Explorer 5.

Are you using a browser that doesn't support Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connections, or do you have SSL disabled?

Your browser must support Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) and the option must be enabled to sign in.
    To enable SSL or Secure Sockets Layer

Internet Explorer 5

Click Tools, and then click Internet Options.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Select all of the "Use SSL" check boxes.
    Internet Explorer 4.x

Click View, and then click Internet Options.
    Click the Advanced tab.
    Select all of the "SSL" check boxes.
    Other browsers

To see if your browser supports SSL connections and for detailed instructions about how to enable this feature, see the online Help for your browser.
    If you see a message to notify you that you are entering or leaving a encrypted connection when you try to sign in, you should choose to continue or you will not be able to sign in.

If you are behind a firewall or proxy that does not support encrypted connections (for example, if you are accessing the Internet from a computer that is part of a corporate network), speak with your local system administrator to see if a solution can be reached using your network. Note that not all firewalls or proxies cause errors. "

10. harry999

harry999

Hi, Teck Support Guy

can't read my email at hotmail
    can't do anything
    every click gives an error message

help appreciated

thanks Harry

11. hewee

hewee

harry999,

Welcome to TSG :)

First thing remove you email address because your get spam by posted it. Never post your email adderess because the web is filled with search bots like Google Spider.

Ok now post more info on the error your getting and what your using, IE, Netscape, Firefox etc.

12. jds1234

jds1234

hi,

i am a new user here.

about using hotmail with outlook express. i now get this message, and a yellow exclamation mark:

Could not connect to Hotmail as [email protected].

Hotmail no longer allows email access via Outlook Express for free email accounts.

Please visit http://www.hotmail.com/oe to learn more.

Account: 'Hotmail', Server: 'http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp', Protocol: HTTPMail, Server Response: 'Access to Hotmail via Outlook and Outlook Express now requires a subscription. Please sign up at http://upgrade.msn.com', Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCCF6

wondering if anybody now gets this message. I have never had this message before, only now it has appeared in the last 20 mins, of me checking outlook express for emails. have chacked 5 times already, still same errors.

when i get help i get directed to a window.com help page, and the solution was for me to do up a hotmail account, but i already have one! have logged on no problem using hotmail website, are msn hotmail stopping people using hotmail through outlook express with a free hotmail account? unless i upgrade to a hotmail plus account, £14.99 is cheap enough but i do not know whether it is any use to do this.

update: windows.com help page:

SYMPTOMS
    After you configure Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Outlook Express to access your MSN (The Mic
    Unknown Error
    rosoft Network) Hotmail account, you receive the following error message when you try to download your Hotmail folders and when you try to send and receive e-mail messages:If you click Details, the following text appears in the error details:
    HTTPMAIL: 10:09:18 [rx]

HTTP/1.1 402 Access to Hotmail via Outlook & Outlook Express now requires a subscription. Please sign up at http://upgrade.msn.com
    If you are running Outlook Express on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, you receive the following error message:
    Could not connect to Hotmail as [email protected].

Hotmail no longer allows email access via Outlook Express for free Hotmail/MSN accounts.
    CAUSE
    This behavior occurs if the following conditions are true: • You configured Outlook Express to access a free Hotmail account.
    • Your Hotmail account has never been accessed by Microsoft Outlook or by Outlook Express.
    MSN Hotmail no longer supports Distributed Authoring and Versioning (DAV) for free user accounts. Outlook Express uses the DAV interface to connect to Hotmail. Only paid Hotmail accounts will work correctly with Outlook Express. If you configured Outlook Express or Outlook to access your Hotmail account before DAV support was ended, you may still be able to use Outlook Express to open a free Hotmail account. However, eventually Hotmail will no longer support DAV for all free Hotmail accounts.
    RESOLUTION
    If you want to use Outlook Express to access your Hotmail account, you must have an MSN subscription. For more information, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://upgrade.msn.com
    MORE INFORMATION
    Windows XP SP2 replaces the "Unknown Error" error message with a more detailed error message.

13. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi jds1234
    Welcome to Tech Support Guy Bulletin Board!

Yes, Hotmail and Yahoo are now requiring a paid subscription or paid upgrade to allow use of POP messaging programs to access mail from their site. This allows Hotmail and Yahoo to gain access to your billing information, which should help reduce the number of spam mailings members may make - Members who's only purpose is to create mass spam mailings.

14. granwei

granwei

I have the same problem with hotmail, but my yahoo has no problem at all even though I haven't paid nothing. this is got to be something else, like a spyware or virus thing. any ideas guys???

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116656

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice