1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hotmail POP-retrieval settings

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Fitz, Jan 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

In Hotmail, I cannot seem to key in the right settings in order to retrieve my e-mails which I've received on Outlook Express, IE5. This always used to work. I can't think why it doesn't now. My username is presumably me e-mail address. The other settings I copy and paste over..I don't really see why Hotmail doesn't then pick up my messages but it doesn't.

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

In OE, go to tools>accounts>mail tab>click the OE account>properties>advanced tab>put a check in leave copy of messages on server.

3. angel

angel

First, make sure your HTTP Server URL in your account properties is set to http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp and, yes, your login name is your email address.
    Second, as far as I know, Outlook Express really doesn't 'download' your email - it syncs it up with your Hotmail box. So, technically, you should see exactly the same messages in Outlook Express as you would if you logged on to Hotmail.com - assuming your sync settings are correct. In OE, highligh Hotmail in the left pane and make sure your sync settings on the right (especially for Inbox) are set to All Messages or New Messages Only.

4. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Thanks for your prompt replies.
    Have checked the "Leave on Server" box in the OE Mail/Properties/Advanced, but to no avail.
    As for your suggestion, Angel, we may be talking at cross purposes because on my OE5 Inbox screen I can't see or recognise any reference to Hotmail in the left panel or anywhere else, and don't see where I can check the synch settings. Also the URL in the address bar in Hotmail options is a lot longer than you describe. It's:
    http://lw4fd.law4.hotmail.msn.com/c...F000000001&a=5acf96dda62f340317623fe543715b7e.
    My apologies in advance if I'm missing something obvious here or have gormlessly misunderstood what you've written.

5. angel

angel

Maybe I'm confused about where you are having a problem. Did you pull that address out of Outlook Express? Looks like you grabbed that out of your browser windows. Is that where you have questions - when you are logged into Hotmail in your browser or in OE? If you did pull that out of OE, then that could be part of the prob, it sounds like you tried to setup your Hotmail account in OE as a regular POP3 account which it is not. When you Add a new mail account, it should see your Hotmail address and automatically recognize it as Hotmail and configure the HTTP server information for you. Can you re-add your hotmail account in IE?

6. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

No that's not the nature of the problem.
    In Hotmail, I should be able to retrieve my e-mails from Outlook Express (or any other POP3 mail account)which is obviously convenient when I'm not at my PC, but, for some reason, I can't.
    I used to be able to retrieve the messages in Hotmail, and can't think why this may have changed.

7. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Fitz,

I had/have a similar problem, but it "sort of" works now. What I did was change the login name in the Account Properties from "[email protected]" to just "username".

It now retrieves my messages and allows me to manage the account, although for some reason it reprompts me for my name and password AGAIN after it's downloaded the messages.

I used the hotmail HTTP mail (not POP3, btw) settings OE gives as default: http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp

Hope this helps.

8. angel

angel

Fitz:

OOOHHHH! Now I know what you are saying!

Usually (but not always), your username is the just the part before the @ in the address, not the whole thing. Have you tried that?
    What message do you get when trying to check your POP mail in Hotmail? Timeout? Incorrect username/password? Other?

9. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

It should be like this.

POP Server Name: YourISP.com
    POP User Name: Fitz

10. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

I was wondering whether to leave off the @etc. part of the username, but seem to recollect reading somewhere that the whole e-mail address should be used.
    Anyway, I've done that, so it just now reads the username only, not the e-mail address. I've sent myself a message to the POP3 account, but so far, after about 5 minutes, it's not appeared in the Hotmail Inbox.
    I don't get any messages at all indicating that the settings or password or username are wrong. I've had these in the past so I'm familiar with them, but it's as if the whole Hotmail retrieval service is just dormant in my account. Maybe I should wait a little longer, but it's late here in England, so I'll check it again in the morning.

11. angel

angel

Are you receiving an error when you check your POP mail or do you just not receive any mail? Actually, about that, sorry this may sound stupid, but you have to tell Hotmail to check your POP mail - it doesn't do it automatically. Just want to make sure you're doing that by clicking the 'POP mail' link on the right.

12. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Oops, Angels right, forgot about that. There is also this.
    Check with your ISP. Some ISPs have restrictions:
    America Online
    AT&T Worldnet
    Compuserve
    Juno
    MSN
    Netcom
    Prodigy
    Sprint Mail
    WebTV

13. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Success!
    By leaving off the address and just inserting the username, I have received two fresh messages on Hotmail this morning that were posted to my POP3 account.
    I thought perhaps the POP3 mail link on the right of the Hotmail page that you mention acted as some kind of switch to activate the retrieval service, but in fact it just takes me to the same page where I've spent quite a while puzzling about which settings to put.
    Anyway it seems to be working now, though last night's test message has yet to appear!
    Many thanks

14. angel

angel

Glad to hear you got it working.
    There's one thing though that puzzles me...
    You said clicking the POP mail link takes you to your POP mail settings page. That link should check your POP mail and return it to your Inbox. The only time it should take you to your POP Mail settings page is if your settings are incorrect and it can't check your mail.

15. Fitz

Fitz Thread Starter

Thanks Angel. I tried this Pop mail again just now and yes it brought over ALL my messages from the POP3 account again! Curiously, the "Download New Messages only" box was checked in the Pop Retrieval options. I suppose that clicking on the Pop mail in the Inbox automatically brings every message over..I've never used that before as I assumed that the POP messages automatically appear in the Hotmail Inbox when you open it up.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66625

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice