1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hotmail problems

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by FZWG, Sep 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Would appreciate knowing if the MCRepair tool can be used with Windows Millennium to attempt a fix of dll files associated with a new browser page not displaying.

There is also regsvr32, etc. COuld this be used with Millennium, or do these goodies just work with Windows 98?

Appreciate the thoughts.

Thanks for the help.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You can use regsvr32 to re register dll's. Some are not "self registerable" though, and you will get an error message. You can check them at the site:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/fileversion/dllinfo.asp&SD=TECH&FR=0

I suspect if you try mcrepair on WinME it will return with a message that the installed files are of a later version than the ones that would be installed with mcrepair. If it doesn't, it should be safe to use.

The IE Repair Tool will also re register and check for version compatibility many IE critical dlls.

3. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thank you very much for the reply, Rollin' Rog.

Have IE 6 running with Windows Me, and getting a group of 'Page cannot be displayed' when trying to access Hotmail.

Trying to figure out what in the world to try out. MCRepair came to mind, regsvr32, and read somewhere about DCOM. Not sure if DCOM would be applicable either.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do to solve the issue?

Sure appreciate the help.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If it is only happening on Hotmail I would delete all the cookies for MSN and Passport in the Windows cookies folder. You can flush them all using the option in IE 6, this will necessarily require re-entering passwords on all sites that require them, so you might want to try the more conservative approach first.

Also clear Temporary Internet files, History and offline content.

The IE Repair Tool should be available, has it been run?

And do try

regsvr32 urlmon.dll

can't hurt.

If an alternate browser is installed, try that and see if the problem is specific to IE.

5. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Thanks again.

Two days ago, reformatted the hard drive and re-installed WinMe. Today, established the connection to CHarter.net. The caches should be pretty clean....(?)....don't you think?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Yeah, but it can never hurt to delete them.

Try installing another browser such as Opera 7 or Netscape. (I prefer the first). It's always a good test of whether problems are browser specific. Opera keeps its own cache of cookies and Temporary files.

If there is a firewall you can try disabling that, although it is a risk to run without one these days.

By the way I've also seen the problem caused by domain hijackers, so if you want to post a HijackThis Scanlog for the system, it can't hurt to have a look.

7. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

There is no firewall yet. Have not installed too many programs. Trying to overcome the email issue first.

On DCOM, is that not an option, then?

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I just don't see dcom as being a factor if the problem is specific to Hotmail and especially if it is a fresh install.

I think your dcom files will all be later than those in the dcom updates, the only ones I know of are dcom98 and the latest blaster patches, none of which seem to be released for WinME

9. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

OK, thanks for the info.

Will give your suggestins a whirl. ;-)

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Okedoke, my main suspicion right now would be a domain hijacking of some kind, even though you haven't installed or been online much, they are happening right and left -- a HijackThis Scanlog will usually tell the tail.

11. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

Would downloading MyIE accomplish anything for troubleshooting purposes?

Opera and Netscape are quite large downloads.

12. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'm not familiar enough with MyIE to say. If it uses an independent Temporary Internet cache and cookies folder, I would say yes, but if it also shares files or caches with IE, then you can't be sure.

I know Opera and Netscape are entirely independent applications.

13. FZWG

FZWG Thread Starter

OK.

Ruling MyIE out.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/168430

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice