1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hotmail Question

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by buf, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. buf

buf Thread Starter

Haven't changed anything but my hotmail account has suddenly lost/misplaced the Contacts or maybe the words are "Show All" that appears when you want to insert the address of the person you want to send your hotmail email to. The Contact List is still available but I prefer the Show All or whatever it was/is called.
    Anyone have any idea? I am using IE5.5 SP2, if that matters.
    A search for this type problem did not reveal any threads and I have not ever seen questions posted about this.:(

2. hewee

hewee

Hey it is gone here also.
    Remember the email you sented in the changes they were going to make?
    Well this looks like what they did. I don't see the Quick link for the address that used to always show up. Then you had the show all below that.
    Now you have the "Contacts" link.
    There is at the top of it a "Favorite Contacts" so that may be what was the Quick link but it does nothing. I clicked on the "Contacts" link and all my address show up.
    But look to the left and click on the "Favorites"
    I don't have any address in the "Favorites" so I guess you have to add them to it. I don't see yet to add to the "Favorites" without having to type them all over again. :(

3. moebius

moebius

microsoft may have a haywire programmer in there.
    would it not be to complete the code for the new interface, test it and then implement it? its a Microsoft thing i guess.

4. hewee

hewee

I got it buddy.

Just go to the address and check one of them and click edit.
    Your see a box that says add to Favorites.
    Put a checkmark in it. Mine already had the checkmark in it but after I clicked ok it changed it so when you click on Compose you see all the address that are your favorites to the right. :D

5. hewee

hewee

Wow it put all my hotmail address in the favorites list.
    So I guess you have to uncheck each one you don't want in favorites to just have it in the Contacts list.

6. buf

buf Thread Starter

Thanks hewee and I was working on this when your reply came in. I like your find better.

The Quick Address List on the Compose page makes it easy to address messages to people in your Contacts list. Instead of typing e-mail addresses, you simply click a name on the list. Since the Quick Address List only displays five contacts, it's important to list in it the contacts you most frequently send e-mail to. To see your entire Contacts list, click Show All below your Quick Address List.

To set up the Quick Address List:

On the Compose page, click Edit List below the Quick Address List.
    If you do not have any contacts in your Contacts list, this link will not be displayed.

To add a contact, click a name in the Contacts list, and then click Add. To remove a contact, click a name in the Quick Address List, and then click Remove.
    Click OK.
    Notes

If your Quick Address List already contains five contacts, you need to remove one before adding another.
    To view any addresses in your Quick Address List, you must first add them to your contacts.

Hewee, all I did was look at that "new feature" the hotmail is planning for the future---I did not do anything else. In fact, I; nor could anyone else have installed any of the new stuff because that option was not given. It was only a preview of what is to come!!
    Darn sneaky of MS to do WHATEVER they did to change anything in my hotmail account---OR yours!! I liked the system I had and NOT what MS has done. I want my old setup back in place!!!:mad:

7. moebius

moebius

hotmail hasnt changed YOUR account. it is a universal change. hotmail uses cgi scripts to serve its pages. when u are viewing a page on hotmail, that page doesnt exist on the hotmail server. only your profile and email does. when you veiw you inbox, the cgi script reads your email and generates a webpage u can see...

regarding the old setup, i have seen the demo, and i think it will be much better, a lot more convenient,

as i said earlier, pretty bad move by microsoft to implement an incomplete feature-set.

and lets all hope that this great service remains free...

8. hewee

hewee

I like the new change really now that I got the Favorite Contacts list to show up and also more for seeing you found the edit Favorite brings up the box to make it very easy to move address around.
    Would be more easy if you could also see the address and not just the names.
    But I could open up two windows and look till I get it all so I inly have the ones I want in Favorite and then even make a new group for address I want to keep but don't use much.

9. buf

buf Thread Starter

I also liked the preview when I saw it BUT I did not like what happened to---without warning and unannounced---to my addresses!! Simple as that. And I think it was underhanded and/or not well thought out in the programmers mind(s). But then, that's MS isn't it. They have the merchandise and we are the consumers/users without much say in the matter--if we want to use a computer with the ease with which we are accustomed.
    I like hotmail but there are other free web mail apps. should MS elect to start charging for hotmail. And they probably will soon.
    (Ever notice when spell checker offers for hotmail? Hot!!)

Venting over.

10. hewee

hewee

Well they could of just added a note on what to do so we did not have to go all around look and trying this and that to find things out.
    I have not been able to login with Hotmail using IE after getting IE 6.
    Can download attachment with Netscape and had to use IE and now I can't do that. I use MyWay for web email and like it and there are no ads on the site.
    Don't have the spell checker and other things that hotmail has because you need IE to ever see them to use.

11. buf

buf Thread Starter

Well they could of just added a note on what to do so we did not have to go all around look and trying this and that to find things out.
    AMEN hewee!!

12. hewee

hewee

:) :) yes Amen Bu

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171060

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice