Solved hotmail settings out of date?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pcthicko

George
When on line I frequently get a message "your hotmail account settings are out of date". If I click on the "fix" button it asks for my password. Could anyone tell me if this is a genuine request or a scam as I am reluctant to show my password until I am sure. The message seems to pop up about every half hour......very scary for a PC dumbo like me.

This sounds like a clock problem. I don't believe it to be a scam. That being said, even clicking fix may not fix it. If it doesn't, I would check Settings - Time and synchronize to correct it. Hope this helps.[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TerryNet

Terry
Sometimes when you login to a Hotmail (or other) account you will get a caution or a demand to update your contact info or your password. You are not likely to get any such request before logging in nor after the login is completed.

What you have described is obviously a scam.

pcthicko

George
This sounds like a clock problem. I don't believe it to be a scam. That being said, even clicking fix may not fix it. If it doesn't, I would check Settings - Time and synchronize to correct it. Hope this helps.[emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Many thanks for your reply. I am not sure which settings you refer to. I have tried settings on outlook, chrome and the PC clock but none of these feature a Time and synchronize setting.

pcthicko

George
Sometimes when you login to a Hotmail (or other) account you will get a caution or a demand to update your contact info or your password. You are not likely to get any such request before logging in nor after the login is completed.

What you have described is obviously a scam.
Many thanks for the warning, have you any idea how I can remove it before I have a nervous breakdown?

TerryNet

Terry
I do not.

If it were me I'd run a scan with Windows Defender (or Microsoft Security Essentials if Windows 7) and maybe some reliable free anti-spyware scans and then just reimage to my last backup.

pcthicko

George
I do not.

If it were me I'd run a scan with Windows Defender (or Microsoft Security Essentials if Windows 7) and maybe some reliable free anti-spyware scans and then just reimage to my last backup.
Thank you I will give that a try. I should have mentioned I am using windows 10, Outlook for email and Chrome on line. I have run a antivirus check using Norton Security.

pcthicko

George
When on line I frequently get a message "your hotmail account settings are out of date". If I click on the "fix" button it asks for my password. Could anyone tell me if this is a genuine request or a scam as I am reluctant to show my password until I am sure. The message seems to pop up about every half hour......very scary for a PC dumbo like me.
Thanks for all your input. Finally solved it by clicking fix and supplying my password (against my better judgement). It then run "fixing" for a few minutes and the problem was solved.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online