Hotmail: "Unable to verify...as a trusted site"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

FeMerican

I've been using both Firefox and Hotmail for a long time without a problem, but for the past couple of days whenever I try to access Hotmail I get a very long message entitled "Web Site Certified by an Unknown Authority."

It goes on to state "Unable to verify identity of cb1.msn as a trusted site," and says that one reason may be that the site I've accessed is no longer the one it purports to be, but is instead a hacker. (This, after entering "http://www.hotmail.com/")

Furthermore, although the box gives the options "okay," "cancel" and "help" at the bottom of the dialog, clicking on any of them only results in looping back to the same box. Clicking on Back, Home or anything else has no effect-- nothing changes. In order to get rid of the dialog box, I have to close the browser (Firefox) using Ctrl+Alt+Del.

If I then reopen Firefox, everything seems to be okay-- UNLESS I try Hotmail again. Then I'm back to all of the above.

I tried e-mailing the Hotmail Webmaster about this, which I figured would be useless and it was.

I've now notified most of my Hotmail contacts to use my Yahoo! address, but I still have lots of stuff stored in Hotmail, some of which is pretty important.

Anybody know what's up with this? Thanks a bunch!

P.S. Forgot to mention that I'm running Windows 98SE with a high-speed DSL connection through an Actiontec GT 701-WG modem that has its own router/firewall. I have Avast!, SpywareBlaster, Ad-Aware SE Personal, A-squared, CWShredder, and HijackThis. I just ran a 3-hour Avast! Thorough Scan two days ago, which pronounced me clean. I used to have Spybot S&D, but for some reason v. 1.4 is not compatible with my setup (freezeups, etc.) so I no longer have it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online