1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hotmail verification

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by razzii, Feb 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. razzii

razzii Thread Starter

Hi all,
    Wondering if this is a common problem, or just a hassle I am having, I use hotmail through OE on xp, and it keeps wiping all my emails im my inbox and leaving one message as follows:

To help protect our users from automatically generated junk e-mail (or spam), MSN Hotmail periodically asks for identity verification.

Please go to http://www.hotmail.msn.com and follow the instructions. It takes only a few minutes and you can then return to using your Hotmail account.

Thank you for helping us to help reduce your junk e-mail.
    Sincerely,
    MSN Hotmail Staff

I can't access the site given on the email.. although if i log into my email through www.hotmail.com it asks to do the picture verification and all is well again.. but just for a little while.
    Any suggestions?
    Raz :) :) :) :)

2. razzii

razzii Thread Starter

I have additonally discovered, that this only happens when I send mail. It wont send through OE hotmail, and then asks for verification.
    Does that make suggestions easy for anyone?
    Raz

3. ewoman10

ewoman10

did you figure out how to fix this thing? seems like a bad virus.

4. razzii

razzii Thread Starter

no I havent fixed it... and still have no idea... obvioiusly either does anyone else :p

5. sayleen

sayleen

I have the same problem here. I think it may be related to Zone Alarm. Because when I shut down Zone Alarm and visit the hotmail verification site, then I was able to verify my account and see my email again. Do you have Zone Alarm on your PC?

This is really annoying. I tried to change my Zone Alarm settings to not filter out outbound email, but the same problem occurs.

6. karanrustagi

karanrustagi

i'm having this problem too... and its driving me insane coz i have to do this picture verification every time i send an email. DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION?
    QUOTE: "Hotmail (largely MS) works hard to piss users off to the extent that you curse the developers every day of you life"

7. sayleen

sayleen

Damn! Here is the official explanation from the Hotmail help section:

To protect our users from the increasing amount of unsolicited junk e-mail or spam sent from MSN HotmailSympatico Mail accounts through Outlook and Outlook Express, we have reluctantly had to restrict the new use of Outlook and Outlook Express to subscribers.

By making this feature part of a subscription, (which requires a user to provide billing information), we can more effectively manage and put a stop to abuse of this functionality, and help protect you and others from unsolicited mail.

If you purchase a subscription service such as MSN Hotmail Plus or MSN Premium, you get access to your account from Outlook or Outlook Express, along with many other added features. To see other benefits of upgrading your MSN HotmailSympatico Mail or MSNSympatico/MSN accounts or to create a new subscription account please visit our subscription information page.

8. veganblue

veganblue

Same problem here - I just updated to Norton 2005 and think there may be issues there.
    It is getting very frustrating though...!

9. karanrustagi

karanrustagi

content edited by moderator; you won't get much support with posts like that... and you may get your account disabled.

10. razzii

razzii Thread Starter

Well Im guessing that is the case, that they want us to upgrade, I know after trying to reinstalled another hotmail address through OE I was told it wasnt allowed anymore, but mine was already set up from a while back, I guess all free things come to an end eventually!
    If anyone has a better explaination then please... let me know!!!
    Cheers

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I had the same problem yesterday, but today, everything looks back to normal. I did sign onto hotmail.com and remove a bunch of garbage mail too, so that may have been holding things up. You might try that.

I have 2 hotmail addresses coming into Outlook Express.

12. Doug Vitale

Doug Vitale

Hotmail is a joke...every other time I try to read my email, I get a "server is too busy" message. Nice way to plan for load-balancing there, Microsoft!

13. enzoluke

enzoluke

I have had the same problem: Here is a temporary fix which is driving me to change email clients........

Sign on at hotmail.com and log into your account...........then go back to outlook and sync. You will be able to access you account in full. This appears to be the only fix I can find.........

Anyone else have ideas, let me know..seems that when you log in and verify the account with the script verification (squiggley little numbers and letters) this activates hotmail to work.

14. razzii

razzii Thread Starter

I too have also changed email accounts... although still many coming through to hotmail. But it seems to be ok today... perhaps its just a hotmail thing.. nothing else we can adjust to fix..just live with it!
    Raz

15. aussie girl

aussie girl

Hi all,
    I'm having the same problem too. I posted with another member in the Email forums last week with no replies. The post is titled 'Hotmail error (0x800CCC33) forbidden'. There is also another post without replies titled 'Hotmail denial of service', in the Email forum. Perhaps the admin could merge these threads together for easier tracking please.

I've also discovered, after about 3 days into this situation, that my 'saved emails' and 'sent emails' have gone???? The folders are empty. Also in 'bulk mail', there is ,say, 5 in there. When I click on it, is says there is no message selected - its empty too. Which is frustrating as sometimes important ones get through there.

I also have the incoming emails downloaded in duplicate - 2 of everything.

I haven't had to do a verification for about 3 days now, but still having problems sending

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326271

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice