1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Hotmail won't open a specific link type

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by markkubis, Feb 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markkubis

markkubis Thread Starter

I hope somebody can help me with hotmail.

I'm using XP SP2 with IE6.

When there is a text link on an e-mail (hotmail) page it sometimes won't open when I click on it. The green progress bar shoots quickly to the right and disappears but the screen remains the same. But sometimes on clicking a link it does go where it should.

I have noticed that the screen doesn't go anywhere when the small line of text immediately above the 'Start' button (lower left of screen) displays the following format of text when the cursor is hovering on the link itself:

javascript:0l('htp://????????)

However, if I copy and paste the link to the address bar of the browser and delete the javascript:0l(' section then the link will work. This is what I've been doing since I can remember.

If the small line of text above the start button has a different format to the above then the link works as it should. For example the following text format works:

javascript:????('./?????)

Is there a solution to this? I have not installed Java into my computer and don't know whether this would solve this problem. I have looked for a Java entry in the advanced section of the IE tools tab but cannot find anything labelled 'Java'. If I do need to download Java, will it compromise security? Where do I download it from if I need it?

This has nothing to do with the firewall as I have tried disabling it and it makes no difference.

I would really appreciate any advice as to how to solve this problem.

Mark

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/334125

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice