Hotspot connection problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

csonk39

Just installed new Belkin wireless router with no problems. Established a network consisting of 3 desktops all XP and this laptop which is also XP Home Sp2. Have had no problems whatsoever with my home network. However, on a recent trip out of town I was in several places that had wireless access. When I attempted to tap in it would acquire the network but said the connection had "limited or no connectivity". When I investigated further it said that it was trying to assign an IP but was unsuccessful. I did have the box checked that says to automatically acquire any available network. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2 simple things - Are you sure your wireless was turned on? Alot of laptops that have internal wireless you have to enable it with a button before you aquire a network if its an addin card disregard this question. Do you have DHCP on your Laptop? If you have your wireless hardcoded then it could be the source of not being able to get on a DHCP network.

bearone2

Banned
csonk39 said:
Just installed new Belkin wireless router with no problems. Established a network consisting of 3 desktops all XP and this laptop which is also XP Home Sp2. Have had no problems whatsoever with my home network. However, on a recent trip out of town I was in several places that had wireless access. When I attempted to tap in it would acquire the network but said the connection had "limited or no connectivity". When I investigated further it said that it was trying to assign an IP but was unsuccessful. I did have the box checked that says to automatically acquire any available network. Any thoughts? Thanks.
home is your default connection unless you call it something else.

most wireless cards can roam but you didn't say if you were staying at a hotel or just trying to "tap" in.

wifi used to be new/free, now many hotels will give you login/wep, if accessible, info as part of staying there but don't want everybody accessing it.

it's like going into starbucks, wanting to use their wifi but not paying the fiddler.:rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online