Houdini around here anywhere?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

verbalista

Hi, experts! Here's the question: I needed to create a backup at once, as I was unprotected, so I decided to use the old program I had been using on my last computer, Retrospect 6.0. Since a relative of mine had recently been trashed and sorely disappointed by a Retrospect 6 backup that was compressed, etc., I decided to use the alternative to take a full drive image and put it on my external hard drive. It's there now, it looks exactly like my "C" drive. It has a registry, which I examined with Regedit, and it looks fine. The big question is, in case of catastrophic failure of my desktop computer's hard drive, and the need to completely reformat and replace with this drive image, how can I get the image from the external hard drive to the desktop's hard drive? When I tried to use Retrospect's disaster recovery boot disk creator, it wouldn't work because there is no "backup set" and the boot disk can't be created without one. There has to be a method for moving a complete disk image with a full registry of WinXP SP2 from an external drive to newly formatted hard drive of a desktop PC.
Can anyone enlighten me as to how this may be done? Thanks in advance for your help, Shoshana

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
What "alternative" did you use? Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, etc. will restore a clone image to another drive. Also, if you use something like Acronis True Image to create a compressed image file of a boot partition, it takes less space, and can be restored exactly as it was when you backed it up.

verbalista

No, I mean that within the confines of Retrospect 6 I used the OTHER alternative, not the one I knew had failed someone, i.e. instead of doing a backup in compressed chunks, a "backup set" requiring Retrospect to decipher it, I used Retrospect to create a full clone disk image on my external drive. As I already posted, the clone image is there, it has its registry and looks perfect, but I can't see how it could be transfered back to my desktop if I needed to format the desktop drive after a catastrophic failure. Are you saying there's no way to do that and that I must buy Acronis?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I don't use Retrospect, so I guess I'm out of magic. I use True Image, and this issue is a piece of cake. :)

verbalista

Well, in case I decide to buy True Image, does it change your boot area on installation? I've heard that removing TI is a drag, bits and pieces sticking behind in the registry requiring manual deletion and permanent changes to the boot section. Of course, if the program is intuitive and actually works, I wouldn't need to remove it...
I dread a catastrophic failure requiring a reformat, then finding that my backup is unusable because it's encoded by True Image and the True Image boot disk won't restore the files. Have you ever actually restored the backup? Do you know anyone who has? I searched the Acronis forums to find out what problems might be there, but I couldn't understand why NOBODY there seemed to have a real problem...it's not because nobody had a problem, because computer illiterate users always do something that causes trouble, so I fear that Acronis just deletes the ugly stuff from the forum where it can be viewed by the public. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I've seen 2 people close to me going through a nightmare because their full backups turned out to be inaccessible. When my old computer died, I was lucky because lack of space on the hard drive had prompted me to keep all my data on an external hard drive, all the time. So, when I saw that the computer was about to fail, I just took the programs folder and put it on the external, to remind me what had been in there and needed to be reinstalled. My new computer was running XP and I needed to upgrade almost everything anyway. I'm so glad to be communicating with a user of Acronis because you can tell me first hand what to expect from this program that seems to please you!
Thanks for replying, I appreciate your help...
Shoshana

verbalista

While I'm considering Acronis, I do have a clone image on my external drive and would love to know how one can move a full, clone, uncompressed drive image from an external drive to an internal hard drive, without using the program that created it...

well, since you bought True Image, this is a moot point but here's what your option would have been with using Retrospect... Now, this would only work if your external drive was one you built - meaning you can take it apart to get the bare HD.

Since you ran a full clone of your boot HD to the external, it should be an exact copy of your boot HD. If the boot HD were to become corrupted, all you would have to do is to replace it with your cloned HD and boot from it. Once that was done, you could clone your clone HD back on to your original boot HD (if the HD is still good) and you would be back to normal.

verbalista

I have not yet bought True Image. I'm considering it.
ZeroHour, I don't know how to boot from my external HD(call it drive X). That's what I need to know!
When I turn on the computer, the internal HD(call it drive Z) is the default boot disk. If Z were corrupted, then reformatted, there would be no way to reach X. I don't understand how to boot from Z with no throughput...
Is there some screen on startup before the disk boots that would allow me to specify which disk to use even if the current disk had been reformatted?
Please, do explain this! Thanks...Shoshana

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
You can't boot Windows from an external hard disk.

I don't know what you're talking about as far as difficulty uninstalling True Image, I've never heard that. Of course, I've had no reason to uninstall it, since I really like it! :D True Image does nothing to the boot sectors, it runs as a standard Windows application. For restoring bootable images, you generate a boot CD with the Windows application, it provides all the True Image functionality that the Windows version does. I don't know who told you True Image screws up your MBR or the like, but they were totally mistaken.

verbalista

John Will, I read the Acronis forums and googled for Acronis problems. I routinely do that before buying any major new program. This is the actual post that started my worries about buying Acronis:
Hello Menorcaman,

As per the request, please find below the instructions for manual Acronis True Image uninstalltion:

Please do the following in order to uninstall Acronis True Image manually:

- Delete Acronis Secure Zone either through the wizard or manually;

- Delete "snapman" from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} -> UpperFilters

- Delete "snapman" and "timounter" from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{71A27CDD-812A-11D0-BEC7-08002BE2092F} -> UpperFilters

- Run Device Manager and delete Acronis Image Archive Explorer;

- Delete "snapman", "timounter" and "tifsfilter" from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services

- Delete "TrueImage" value from the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\Autopart (can be absent)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\CDRecord
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\Schedule2
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\SnapAPI
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\Snapman
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis\VBus

- Delete the Windows\System32\autoprnt.exe file, if it exists;

- Delete the following folders:

Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\CDRecord
Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Drivers

- Download the http://www.acronis.com/files/support/schedmgr.exe file;
- Open the command prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd);
- Run the following command in the folder you saved the file to:
schedmgr service uninstall
- Open Task Manager and stop the following processes: schedhlp.exe, TrueImageMonitor.exe;
- Delete the Program Files\Common Files\Acronis\Schedule2 folder;

- Delete the desktop icon and Start menu shortcuts;

- Delete the Program Files\Common Files\Acronis folder;
- Delete the Program Files\Acronis\TrueImage folder;
- Delete the Program Files\Acronis folder;

- Delete "TrueImage Monitor" value from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

- Delete the following keys in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT:

.tib
.tis
tibfile
tisfile

- Delete the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TrueImage

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Acronis (you may need to grant full control permission to yourself to delete this key)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Acronis

- Reboot the computer.

Thank you.
--
Ilya Toytman

Acronis, Inc.
395 Oyster Point Blvd., Suite 115
South San Francisco, CA 94080 USA
http://www.acronis.com/

You are welcome to submit your feedback on Acronis Customer Service at https://www.acronis.com/my/support/?ab=3

verbalista

That post about how to remove Acronis came after three different users were saying that not everything came off when Acronis was uninstalled (one did an uninstall because he was planning to install a newer version and wanted a clean install for it). They were complaining that add/remove programs didn't get it all and that there was no removal tool on the Acronis site.

Anyway, I still hope to learn how to restore to my hard drive from an external drive on which I have a complete clone of the system I need, without using any program.

Thanks for replying, I appreciate your help. Shoshana

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The "Secure Zone" is a special feature that I've never used. It indeed appears to screw with the partitions, but it's not a necessary, or even desirable IMO option. :)

If you just install Acronis True Image with the normal options and use it to do backups, you can upgrade it cleanly without any incident, I've moved from version 6 to version 7 to version 8, and no issues. I didn't bother to upgrade to version 9, I didn't see anything that I needed to have there.

As I said.. IF the external drive is one you built or one that can be easily taken apart so you can get at the bare drive, you can replace your original HD with that one and boot from it. Once you do that, you can clone it back on to your original HD in the same exact manner you created the clone on the external drive. Again.. this is IF your original HD isn't totally screwed up.

If your external is not one you can swap out easily. Then making an image of your original with True Image is the better choice.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online