1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

house cleaning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Clarke, Sep 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Clarke

Clarke Thread Starter

Hi, I'm trying to help my sister clean up her hard drive, get rid of things she doensn't need, etc.

AND

I want her to think I know what the hell I'm doing. (just kidding, no chance for that.)

What's the best way to go about freeing up memory on the hard drive?

also, how difficult is it to upgrade memory on a PC?

Thanks,

Clarke

2. BillC

BillC

I'd get a disk cleaner of some nature, empty all my temp files, cache, etc and then defrag. Also delete old useless files, programs, etc. How does that sound?

Upgrading memory is generally easy. Just unplug one memory stick in for another or add a stick. But, you need to check with the manufacturer to see how much it can hold, etc.

3. RSM123

RSM123

4. Clarke

Clarke Thread Starter

BillC and RSM123,

Thanks for your help.

5. Clarke

Clarke Thread Starter

Okay, we've got about a hundred megs freed up, and now I'm looking at all the programs in the Program Files folder, as well as the New Programs folder, and I'm wondering which are safe to remove. Here are some I'm looking at:

Power Archiver (actually this one seems like it would be helpful if we understood how to use it--?)

Plus! -- 8.3 megs, what is it good for?

Viewpoint

Windows 95 SP & Updates
    and
    Office 97 SR1 & SR2
    are both in the New Programs folder. My sister's using Windows 98. Are these still needed? [edit: just found out about Office 97...]

Also, I've found QuickTime, Real, and Windows Media Player in there--should I pick one from the three? I've been pretty happy with WMP--The QT version on here won't even go full screen, and I've not familar with Real. Any recommendations?

RSM, I'm holding on to those links--I've been thinking about building my own for a while now, seems the best way to really come to know a computer.

Thanks,
    Clarke

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/164837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice