1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HouseCall Virus

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by F-EMDE, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. F-EMDE

F-EMDE Thread Starter

When I run HouseCall I get 26 Non-Clearable infected files, what do I do !!!!!!
    Fred

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

post them...
    if you can copy & paste to here we can help

since you apparently have no virus scanner onboard ... go get this one for now

AVG virus scanner
    http://www.grisoft.com

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It depends on the files that it said were uncleanable. If some are Windows OS files then you need to extract new copies from your Windows CD. If they are user files, then delete them.

Did it find any virus and clean it up prior to mentioning the uncleanable files? If not, did it mention what virus you had in the past that infected the files or did it say your currently infected with a virus that it can't clean using the online scan?

If you want us take a look and see if you appear to be infected, do this

Go <a href=http://home.earthlink.net/~rmbox/Reticulated/Only_IE.html> here </a>and download Startlog.com

Once it's downloaded, double left click on it to execute it. You'll see a Notepad window open up. Close the window. Now on your Desktop you should see a light blue icon called Startup.log

Right click on it and select Rename. Now rename it Startup.txt

When prompted if your sure you want to do this, click on Yes.

Now come back here and click on PostReply. At the bottom of the reply window click on "Browse". Now locate Startup.txt in the Explorer window and double left click on it to attach the Startup.txt file.

4. F-EMDE

F-EMDE Thread Starter

Bryan, there are 9 pages in the StartUp.txt, are you sure you want me to post it here ?
    Fred

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Yea post it as an "Attachment" like I suggest above. If you follow the steps in my post above to Reply here and then Click on "Browse" to attach it, you should be fine.

There's a good chance I won't be here to look at it and if I'm not, there are plenty of others to help. And I'll check back later if I'm not here when you post it.

6. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    And when it is posted as an attachment, for anyone wanting to view it in a readable format, do this .......

Right click on the link for the attachment and select "SaveTarget As". Then save it to your HD. Then open the file in Notepad to view it.

And F-EMDE, did it find any virus and clean it up prior to mentioning the uncleanable files?

If not, did it mention what virus you had in the past that infected the files or did it say your currently infected with a virus that it can't clean using the online scan?

Can you give us a list of the files it found as uncleanable or at least a few of them?

7. F-EMDE

F-EMDE Thread Starter

I loaded AVG 6.0 and started looking for infected files, and I fuond A LOT. After a few hours I think I have most of them cleaned up. The ones I can't clean up are from a virus called "I-Worm/Nimda.A" and I can't find a fix for that virus. My AVG I just down loaded it today and it is the latest rev. 311. A couple of other things bother me. I get an error on a file named "Riched20.dll" but when I look for it on the hard drive with Fine File, it can't find it, also some files like "mepB271.tmp.exe". In the OLD DAYS you could hide files and you had to unhide them if you wanted to access them, is that true today ?
    Fred

8. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

F-EMDE... you still need to update it... the AVG I mean

9. F-EMDE

F-EMDE Thread Starter

I figured out how to unhide the files and cleaned them up. Now I will update AVG.
    Fred

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

11. F-EMDE

F-EMDE Thread Starter

Well I am up and running and everything seems to be OK. I had to reload Win98 because I deleted "Riched20.dll" before I read SavvyLady's last post. Thanks SavvyLady and Bryan for all your help. I think I will leave AVG and ZoneAlarm on my computer this time !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fred

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63499

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice