1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How 2 import text data into Excel from scanned text file ?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by anothrnub, Sep 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anothrnub

anothrnub Thread Starter

Good morning / Good afternoon
    As a newbie I am making the first posting on your forum and I hope it is not a silly question.

I received a hard print of an excel spreadsheet with data in 9 columns (2 date formatted and 6 number formatted) of figures from my by bank and I wish 2 use them for further calculation. As I didn't get an electronic file from the bank I scanned the data sheet on the HP Scanner into text files ( rich text, plain text etc) and attempted to import the text into Excel; but I was unsuccessful. Have I attempted the impossible or did I do something wrong ?

If it is possible to do so how should I proceed ?
    With thanks, anothernub

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi,

If you have it as a text file, go to Data -> Import Data -> browse to file, import. You should be taken to the Text To Columns dialogue box where you can set the parameters of the import. Or you can upload the text file, if you'd rather.

3. anothrnub

anothrnub Thread Starter

firefytr ty f y msge.
    The data ->import data -> browse exercise is not working with my Rich Text or JPG files. I do not have plain text file because I am unable to save the scanned screen on plain text format. R U able to guide me on upload text file option ? Anyother alternatives ?
    regards. anothrnub

4. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Sure, when you hit post reply, click the manage attachments button. Browse to your file then be sure and hit the Upload button. Then just hit submit post.

5. anothrnub

anothrnub Thread Starter

firefytr , Ty i'm back; probs not resolved yet. Re Ur Post 101; being new it is unclear. Is it 2 do with my query or a note on how 2 post on the TSG MB? Reverting back to my inquiry I managed to Data import the scanned WordPad text file into an Excel spreadsheet but not fully though. The WordPad is not wrapping round the rows with the result that some 50 rows on an A4 page end up in 3 or 4 rows on the WordPad extending to some 30/40 cms to the right of the file. Upon checking for the reason I note that there is no paragraph indentation limit on the WordPad. My attempt 2 amend the default setting has been a failure. While I am ploughing through the search results to find the answer, r u able to give a quick reply off the top of your head ?
    Many thanks and with regards AnothrNewbie

6. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

Can you attach your text file to your next post?

Rollin

7. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

If you can get the information to a text file (Notepad) then you should be ok. I don't know of a way to do it using WordPad. But if you uploaded the file, someone may be able to do it for you and explain how they did it.

8. anothrnub

anothrnub Thread Starter

Hi Rollin and Hi frefytr. The plain text file that was saved from the RTF file that was produced by the HP scan is enclosed. note that I'm using Win XP on my PC and the Excel with the home is pretty basic and so I have a laptop on loan from a friend with XP professional for the Excel. Could it be that the WindowPad on XP home is also basic and causing me the hassle ?Thank you in advance for your assistance. Another newbie :)

P.S: the file since deleted

9. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

As commented from pm's:

If you go to View -> Options, and change the settings to No Wrap; or Insert -> Object -> Microsoft Excel Worksheet, can you paste into that; or Format -> Tabs -> Tab Stop Position, does changing that help?

Try these and let us know. I'm also posting this to the forum, it should be kept there, as to benefit all others (especially those w/ the same problem). :)

10. Shreya

Shreya

can we import data from txt file into a word which is running some macro in it?how can we do it?tis will actually trigger the macro into creating a table which will store the txt data which has been inputted..any ideas.. (y) thxin ad
    Shreya

11. anothrnub

anothrnub Thread Starter

firefytr; ref yr post 115. Thank u for u'r comments. unfortunately the different exercises did not produce the results. i did a manual input of the data to sort my immediate problem and hence the delay in posting this message. My query is yet 2b resolved; i.e how will one import scanned Rich Text Format data (in 8 column by say25 rows) of 'date' and 'numerical values' into Excel ?' thnx anothrnub

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice