How about adding a guides section.

firestormer

I had an idea...

Add a guides section to the site with simmple guides for general thing like networking and installing compnents.

Set up the site to pick up keywords in posts and post atomated replys linking to thos guides.

this would mean that the admin and other helper would spend less time solving the simple problems and more time solving the more serious life and death problems. ( it would also give them more time to play game )

I dont know it sounds a good idea but there might be flaws. Id like to know.:)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
This idea comes up regularly, and I believe is under consideration. Of course, there is tons of information around on most issues with a simple Google search. The volume of issues we deal with that come up on the top of a Google search indicates how little such a guide would get used. :D

TechGuy

Mike
Administrator
Yeah, this is something I'd really like to do -- have a "how to" / articles section. It's actually in the official "To Do" list of this forum, but I don't have an ETA yet.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
I volunteer to write the one "How to format c: " :D :D

firestormer

The problem of doing google search for guides is that a lot of stuff is outdated and often it is impossible to tell weather tghe data is good or bad. Also some sites ask that you pay a subscription to view an answer.

The main key point of the idea stated above is to have the site post an automatic reply with a link when such keywords apear for example "how to" + "peer to peer" + "network" in a post would cause the site to send an automated reply with a link to a site or page giving genuin guides on setting up peer to peer networks.

An option could also be presented in the reply asking if the info was helpful. If yes the post could be marked as solved if No it could be morked as Atention Requied (as it is evident that people ignore posts when they see that someone has already replied.

The idea needs refineing - Keep giving your coments!

A how to section but also make it so no one can post in the how to threads.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, that's easy, we can just lock all the threads. :)

Right John. Have good help threads with images that can be step by step to make it easy to understand for beginner. Then you could even have other added info for Intermediate, Advanced users.
We can then when some needs help poing them to the thread/post. Well save a lot of time having those that help from posting so much each time they help if they can just point to the help thread.

Over at the Calendar Of Updates Forums they made the "CoU-niversity Subforums"
http://www.dozleng.com/updates/Invitation-to-the-Freshman-Course-t4817.html
You can even go tru it to learn and get a diploma. I made the diploma you get. Once your done you go and can see it with your name on it. You have to do a screen shot to save it with your name because of the way the one diploma is used for everyone the user name gets added to the diploma as a over lay or something like that.

Others here should go tru it to look at what they did and then think up what should be done here.

Then there are just the Tutorials.
http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?act=tutorials

Bleeping Computer has lots of Tutorials too.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/

Another thing you may do is make the subforum here and then see if you can link to the other site for all the added info they already have in the Tutorials.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The major problem is getting the time to create a guide and to think out all the possibilities. It's not a quick task. It's easier to just respond to the problems as they come up. :)

I know it is not going to be easy to make everything.

BUT if you can get the ok from the other sites to use the ones they have and all we have to do is post the link here to there site in a thread

Like lots of the Tutorials at COU are linked to BleepingComputer but I think it is a sister site they have but still if you can get the ok from them to do the same type of thing then all the Tutorials could be in one place here even if they are linked to other sites it will still help out.

firestormer

How about making the guides as you go along. Set up an area on the site for it and next time your asked how to set up a network say make one then rather then compileing loads of possibilities beforehand.

That way your answering the present question and all future questions the same.

Another thing you could do is let normal members submit guides which could be checked over by the moderators before postings. The problem with this is that you could get flooded with guides so you might have to set up the system to allow only members whos skills are known to be genuin. Perhaps by setting up a comendation system so that other members can rate the advice thier given and hence giving each member some sort of score or ranking?

Like always there are probalay problems with this idea so point them out please, dont be shy.

fs

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You betcha :D :D Plus that one would be really, really short :p

Davec

Gone but never forgotten
That's the first thing Chava taught her. Since, she's been trying to teach her not to shed on the keyboard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts