1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How accurate is Asus Probe???

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by RGV312, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RGV312

RGV312 Thread Starter

I have the Asus A7V8X mobo, it came with bios revision 1005... I installed the asus probe, and it regularly gives me reading of the cpu temp being about 46 idle 48-51 under load.. the bios shows the exact temps.. sisoft sandra and motherboard monitor show temps about 5 degrees higher... Today i flashed to the latest bios (1010) and it said that this revision correctly calibrated cpu temp. Now the bios and asus probe show temps of 28-30 degrees idle and about 33 under load, however sandra and MBM still show the same temps as before.... which should i trust????
    I'm using the thermaltake volcano 9 @ 3800rpm and artec silver III....
    thanks all

sorry if this post is confusing...lol

2. Rockn

Rockn

Calibration of these utilities might be suspect, but I would trust the ASUS one before the SiSoft one since they built the board. If you want to try another avenue you could try another temp monitor that paces a sensor directly on the CPU and then compare to the ASUS Probe util. Most PC shops have these for under $60

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, the information that any of the hardware monitors reads out is digital, so any calibration issues would be with the manufacture of the MB, not the utility reading the value.

4. RGV312

RGV312 Thread Starter

yeah it wasn't suppost to calibrate the utilities, it was suppost to " 1. Calibrate the reading of CPU temperature in hardware monitor"

thats what it said in the "info" box for the bios download..

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'm somewhat suspicious of the 30-33 degree readings, that doesn't sound at all normal for that processor. I have the P4-2.4g processor in this machine, and with the Intel heatsink (very large fan), it runs 30-32 idling, and it can get into the mid 40's at 100% processor for a long stretch. I'm having a hard time believing you're getting a three degree temperature rise at 100% CPU usage.

6. RGV312

RGV312 Thread Starter

yeah me too, thats why i posted this asking if the bios reading and the asus probe is accurate.....

I have a fairly good case (antec 1035 performance series tower) 3 case fans, and the big volcano 9... the side of the case is actully cold to the touch, which is a good thing i guess, but i still wanna make sure my chip is safe.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice