1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How: Add existing XP HD to Win 7 PC, dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by chaz_mac, Nov 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chaz_mac

chaz_mac Thread Starter

I built a Win 7 PC, and found I cannot install an app I need (not compatible with Win 7, even in XP mode)

I have it installed on an HD in an older PC, set up the way I want.

Searched for the answer on the forum, but do not want to re-install XP, would just like to boot from the XP drive as is.

is that possible - and how?

thanks!!

Chaz

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You basically would need to do a fresh install of XP on that computer and install all the correct drivers should they even have them for XP for your new system. You are not going to be able to "boot from the XP drives as is" by moving it to a new computer with different hardware.

I am curious to know why it doesn't run in XP Mode. I have yet to run into a Piece of software that won't run on XP Mode VM.

3. CameronW

CameronW

4. chaz_mac

chaz_mac Thread Starter

FIrst things first: this is not a "new" PC, it's home built as follows

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 32 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+, x64 Family 15 Model 55 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2047 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 GS (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM), 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 122100 MB, Free - 85964 MB; D: Total - 79924 MB, Free - 51770 MB; H: Total - 476937 MB, Free - 434473 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., A8N-SLI Premium
    Antivirus: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware, Updated and Enabled

For some reason sysinfo skipped E: and F:, two 500 gb Sata II drives. C: is an SSD

So I have drivers for XP for everything, or can get them NP.

The XP drive is from an older build that had an Asus board and AMD proc

The app in question is IPASS connect, in conjunction with Cisco VPN. This is configured for remote connection to work, and must be the version provided by our IT.

I looked on MS website for compatibility, and they only list 64 bit versions, one OK and one not. The one I must use is 32-bit.

So i'm pretty certain about the compatibility - but see no reason why booting from the old XP drive should be an issue.

Assuming I can get it loaded into a multi-boot process ...

Thanks -

Chaz

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

It's actually a major issue both technically and legally. If you want to run Windows XP on your newly built computer, you need a new retail license or an unused OEM license which didn't come with another computer. If Windows XP came pre-installed on that drive with the computer you pulled it from, you can't legally run it on another computer.

The technical challenges with moving a drive from one computer to another also exist, but I suspect the licensing issue will cause this to fall flat.

6. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

This is where virtual machines shine.

I still play an old DOS game from the 80s...on my Windows 2000 virtual machine...running on a 64 bit Phenom-II system in a linux host.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025444

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice