1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How are firmware updates delivered?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Battlesoaked, Dec 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Battlesoaked

Battlesoaked Thread Starter

Do peripheral manufacturers contract with Microsoft to deliver firmware updates via Windows updates? If not, then how are they delivered? Do people like Linksys just wait for customers to call them because their routers fail absent firmware updates?

Let's say I unplug my router for a long time and just run the data directly to my desktop from my cable modem. Wouldn't I miss firmware updates? Assuming I did, they wouldn't just load automatically when I plugged the data line back into the router, right? I would have to go to the Linksys site and download and install new firmware in the router, wouldn't I?

I hope I'm not asking too many questions, but I've rummaged around Wikipedia and run the keywords through this site and I'm still not sure about this.
    Thanks for your time and consideration,
    B

2. bigbear

bigbear

Firmware is not updated automatically, it has to be downloaded and only if it addresses a problem you have
    Rule of thumb with firmware is if your hardware is working correctly don't update the firmware.
    If you install it incorrectly you can render your hardware useless,

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

Firmware updates are only available from the manufacturer . . and you have to go looking for them. . . non are automatic that I have seen

4. Battlesoaked

Battlesoaked Thread Starter

Thanks Bigbear and Mister S.
    Bigbear: I was reading this article and came across a reference to "the Old Rectory in Shaghampton, Wiltshire". Question: Are you aware of such a place? Google maps is not. I'm thinking the "Shag..." indicates a joke.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/664966

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice