1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Are These Duplicate Files Created?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sistafatti, Jun 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sistafatti

sistafatti Thread Starter

Recently re-installed WXP after Computer Crash.

Copied "My Documents" folder from thumb drive to the computer
    Noticed several folders in "My Documents" were missing so thought I didn't back up to the thumb drive often enough so figured they were lost in the crash.

Wasl looking for a file and was unsure in which folder it might be located so did a "search" and found it in "My Documents". Went back to the "My Documents" folder and it wasn't there so did another search. This is what I discovered:

I went into Windows Explorer and found "My Documents"

I went into "My Computer" and then the "C" drive and found Documents and Settings, Gary, My Documents in the tree

Further down the tree I found the "C" Drive again and found Documents and Settings, Gary's, My Documents.

It appears there are 3 "My Documents" on my computer and of those down the tree had the missing folders I was looking for.

This is strange because after the computer crash I inserted the WXP Install disk and it wiped out all of my files and programs before installing. When the install was complete I had to install of my programs, printer, scanner etc. I then transfered the "My Documents" folder from the thumb drive to my computer. Since all of the programs were wiped clean, where did the 3 versions of "My Documents" come from.

Under Windows Explorer there is:
    "My Documents"
    Documents and Settings, Gary, My Documents
    Documents and Settings, Gary's My Documents

I had to copy some of the folders in both of the last two into the regular "My Documents" folder on the desktop.

What happened?

2. mca

mca

Someone accidentally/intentionally moved the contents while browsing around your computer, creating your phenomenon. Could have simply not formatted during installation of windows, so windows worked it's magic and retained the references to the documents.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/721214

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice