1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How? BDSL-Best D*mn Small Linux to wipe HD

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by RyanC321, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RyanC321

RyanC321 Thread Starter

I found a web site but lost it that explained how to wipe a hard drive un-recoverable for free if you downloaded and iso file of 50mb of best d*mn small linux and booted your computer with it, it would run in ram; you then could type from a command line some commands and wipe your hard drive so the data on it could not be recovered by any method. I have several hard drives and in the future will need to dispose of them without any one being able to access the data on them.

Here is the general page I started from: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/download.html

Here's where I got the "dsl-3.3.iso" file:
    ftp://ftp.oss.cc.gatech.edu/pub/linux/distributions/damnsmall/current/

I've got nero; but I don't understand if I should burn this 50 mb BDSL .iso file as a data file to cd-rom or if I'm missing anything besides the commands I need to erase the hard drive.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It depends on the version of Nero you have, but look for something like Burn Image to Disc, it should then ask you for a file, change it to all file types, select the ISO file you have and continue on. You don't want to burn it as a Data disc.

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  4. RyanC321

RyanC321 Thread Starter

Hello Sir,

Thank you for the advice.

Ryan

5. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    If you want a bootable hard disk wiping program as an ISO file to put on a CD, you might want to consider using Darik's Boot and Nuke (DBAN):

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

If I recall, it includes some type of Linux kernel and the program itself is menu driven with various levels of wiping (simple one pass overwrite with zeros to DoD level multiple overwrites with pseudo-random data).

6. RyanC321

RyanC321 Thread Starter

Thank you sir, that is very helpful, I saw that name of product but did not know about what it could do.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589811

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice