1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How best to image an XP partition?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hatrabbit, Dec 5, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. hatrabbit

hatrabbit Thread Starter

I have an XP machine (XP Pro SP3) running a critical application. If anything ever happens to this computer I can never get that application back. I need to create a backup just in case... in the old days I used to image XP partitions using a Ghost Casting Boot CD but that isn't working. It hangs on boot, saying "Starting PC Dos". It looks like I need another way to create an image of my C drive. What are the best options for this?

Thanks

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could use Macrium Reflect Free :- https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    Click on the blue [Home Use] button on that webpage to begin the download process.

You can make a rescue ISO and burn a bootable CD/DVD from it or make a bootable Usb stick from within the program (OtherTasks > Create Rescue Media).
    Personally I use a Usb stick to both make and restore Images, although you can make an Image from within the program running in Windows.

3. hatrabbit

hatrabbit Thread Starter

I was just reading about Clonezilla. Anyone have an opinion about it? Thanks

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I prefer Acronis and if you have either a WD or Seagate hard drive, there are versions of Acronis at their web sites available for free.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I image my XP SP3 computer using Acronis. I made a boot CD and boot USB stick, then removed the installed Acronis from the computer. (I use Revo Uninstaller to completely remove everything).

I boot the computer with the CD or USB stick and have a portable hard drive attached by USB. Acronis loads into the RAM and I then select what I want to image. Sometimes I do the entire disk and sometimes I just do the contents of C.
    I designate the image with the computer and the date.
    So I might do XP_C_6Dec.2018 or XP_Full_6Dec.2018.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Clonezilla works well although it's probably a bit harder to use than others.

It's personal choice really; also there's no harm in using more than one imaging program to make more than one image of the same thing, in fact it's a good idea.

Don't forget to make the restore CD/DVD/Usb stick for whichever imaging program(s) you choose though, then you can restore the image onto a new drive if the old drive fails completely.

7. 8biosdrive

8biosdrive

Do you mean to keep the last restored image on the stick as well as on the backup drive? Seems like a good idea!

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Since the software is irreplaceable I would make several backups.

You could also clone the HDD onto a different HDD, then if the 1st drive fails you can just swap it for the 2nd (clone) drive and be up and running again. I think all the programs mentioned above can do cloning.

After the cloning the first boot of either drive should be done without the other drive connected, otherwise the booting drive will 'see' the other drive and because it has the same 'drive ID' as itself as stored in the Registry will assign it drive letter C and give itself another letter, but all the paths stored in the registry use C so windows won't work properly.

If the drive boots without the other drive connected it uses C for itself and after that it's ok to connect the other drive again, windows will give it another letter now (not C) and everything works ok.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice