How big a server do I need

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

John Meinzin

I am upgrading a file server. It provides network access and acts as a file server to @ 100 computers and I will probably add 50 more. These are student computers at a small private school.
How can I determine how big a file server I need. They seem to range in price from $450 to $14500. I am using Windows 2000 server.

You need to make that determination based on how much information you plan on storing. Make sense??

John Meinzin

John Meinzin said:
I am upgrading a file server. It provides network access and acts as a file server to @ 100 computers and I will probably add 50 more. These are student computers at a small private school.
How can I determine how big a file server I need. They seem to range in price from $450 to $14500. I am using Windows 2000 server.

I see advertized servers for 500 dollars with enough Harddrive space but others with seeming little difference for $5000. Is there a significant difference that causes the price difference?

The cost difference is based on hardware. I can assure you, there is a significant difference between machines in that price range. Given what you want to do which is just set up a basic file server, you can probably go with one of the cheaper ones. Just make sure it has enough hard drive space so you don't run out of space too quickly.

John Meinzin

Perhaps you can also tell me the diference between Level 1 and level 2 servers. Can I decide I just need a level 1 server (if the levels mean anything)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts