How 'bout them e-Machines?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

changintimes

Banned
I am about to purchase an e-Machine desktop computer. Does that make you cringe or is e-Machine great or what esle?

Thanks,

changintimes

Well my friend has one and he really likes it...........I never hear him say nothing bad about it............

My friends brothers after about 2 1/2 years powersupply went out, and then motherboard. But their good for cheap i guess.

I'm helping my Mom pick out a new computer and so far the winner is: HERE

Just remember .. you get what you pay for ...

Stoner

Banned
My mother in law bought an emachine about 8 months ago and has had good luck so far.
Personally, I'm a bit leary of that brand as it's past rep wasn't that good and now it's owned by Gateway. I've had hardware problems with my Gateway, both during and out of warranty. So, an emachine is not for me ;)

changintimes said:
I am about to purchase an e-Machine desktop computer. Does that make you cringe or is e-Machine great or what esle?

Thanks,

changintimes
I am cringing and tasting bile. I would give it a (n) (n) Underpowered, generic parts, lousy support.

For the last 6 years I have bought many computers for my home and office. I have had Dells, HP, Compaq, PowerSpec, and E-machines. Of all the machines the E-machines have given me the least amount of trouble. One of them lost a power supply and a quick trip to CompUSA - an off the shelf power supply fixed it. Similar problem with a HP and no way... they use small power supplies that dont fit into a standard case. Dell also fools with the parts and you have to buy from them.
I highly recommend the E-machines. We have 7 of them chugging along daily without a complaint.

The old e-machines (n) way (n) I had Win 98 on it and I had to install Linux and get rid of Win 98 because it ran so bad. Now it runs fine (on Linux). But I dunno, I personally don't like em.

HenryVI said:
The old e-machines (n) way (n) I had Win 98 on it and I had to install Linux and get rid of Win 98 because it ran so bad. Now it runs fine (on Linux). But I dunno, I personally don't like em.
I recently installed Windows 2000 Service Pack 2. It runs much better than w/ window 98. I was thinkin' about putting linux on it too. Either way can't use it with Win 98.

I am on my second hardware config with this home built system. I think home built or barebones is the best way to go.

if all you do is email or web surf . emachines are ok BUT if you want to game or web design, actually, anything other than email or surf. get a quality machine or build your own. emachines are totally low end generic.

I'm helping my Mom pick out a new computer and so far the winner is: HERE

Just remember .. you get what you pay for ...
Alienware pc's are way too overpriced. You can have the same machine with the same parts(except the external case) built much cheaper.

E-machines use cheap parts so their longevity is questionable. However If you are just checking email and browsing the net, an emachine will do just fine. If you buy one, make sure you buy the extended warranty.

tdi_veedub said:
Alienware pc's are way too overpriced. You can have the same machine with the same parts(except the external case) built much cheaper.

E-machines use cheap parts so their longevity is questionable. However If you are just checking email and browsing the net, an emachine will do just fine. If you buy one, make sure you buy the extended warranty.
Good Luck With That One. Sure you can build it cheaper yourself. But after 5 hours on the phone today trying to talk her thru a format and fresh install I'm sending her to Alienware (y)

The rig I configured for her is all top of the line components with better than average tech support. At least from my experience.

If you know of somewhere better to buy a new system I'd sure like to know about it :confused:

Got one for my 87 year-old mother-in-law. She just does e-mail and internet. Splurged and got 3-year in-home warranty for her though.

It got to the poin where I had to install windows 2000 on my old emachine 333id system. It was the only way to keep it stable enough. I am going to upgrade my current "home made" box and build a new 64bit system. IMHO building your own system is the only way to go.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online