1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How Can I access files from a laptop with a damaged display?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kristen1100, Dec 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kristen1100

Kristen1100 Thread Starter

Two years ago my HP 15-f039wm laptop screen got damaged and there has been no display ever since. (Operating system: Windows 8) Now that I have a new Acer laptop, I would love to get those important files back. Please explain clearly what should I do to transfer those files to my new laptop. Thanks!
    Plus, there was nothing else wrong with the laptop itself, so it still powers on and charges.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    If you have or can borrow a computer Monitor or a TV with the correct connector you should be able to connect it to the HP laptop and get a display on it, then you could copy the files you need onto a Usb stick then put the stick into the Acer and copy the files onto it's hard drive.

Another way is to take the hard drive out of the HP then use a Sata to Usb adapter cable or caddie to connect it to the Acer and then copy the files.

3. Kristen1100

For the first option, what kind of cable do I use to connect it to a TV or a computer monitor?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    It depends on what connectors are on the monitor or TV. I believe your HP has an HDMI connector so a monitor or tv with an HDMI socket would be the easiest way, using an HDMI to HDMI cable.

Kristen1100 likes this.
  5. Kristen1100

Yes, they both have HDMI. And using that cable I can move those files from the HP to my Acer right?

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Not exactly, the HDMI cable connection will let you see the HP's display on the monitor or tv. Then you can see what you're doing and copy the files you want to keep onto a Usb stick, move the stick to the Acer and copy those files onto it's hard drive then do whatever you want with them.

Kristen1100 likes this.
  7. Kristen1100

Okay. Thank you so much!

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1220048

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice