1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can i backup hotmail emails to a Hard drive ?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by garry35, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. garry35

garry35 Thread Starter

hi everybody this is my first post. i am currently using hotmail as my primary email address, but i have now got loads of valuable emails eg receipts, confirmations etc. these are currently in a seperate folder created in hotmail, but i would like to know if its possible to back them up to my hard drive for archiving and safekeeping. is there a program which can do this or how can i do it manually ?

thanks in advance

Garry.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Welcome, garry35.

The manual way to save one Hotmail message at a time is to use "Save page as ...". This is an action available in your browser's File menu or in the context (right-click) menu. Maybe somebody will know a better way.

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

4. johnske

johnske

I'm assuming you download the files and receive them with OE here... If there are a large number of emails you want to save it's probably best to create a separate - temporary - 'backup' folder for this purpose and move or copy all the emails you want to save in this folder.

Open OE, click Tools > Options > Maintenance > Store Folder. This gives the location where all your emails are stored as .dbx files.

Go to that location (some folders may be hidden, so if they are... in a folder menu click Tools > Folder Options > View and check 'Show hidden files and folders' and click OK). Find the .dbx folder that you want to save (your 'backup' folder) and copy it to your storage device.

Now, you cannot view emails in the .dbx file per se, you must put it back into the Store Folder and view it with OE. One caution here... when you put it back into the store folder this overwrites any file with the same name...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/557671