1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I can Quick Time player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by thankful, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

After I upgraded my harddrive, I tried to download Quicktime. When I go to their site or follow links to a quick time download, all I get is the player that advertises "hot picks"media, etc and gives me options to download I-tunes songs, movies, etc. I know there is a player by Quick Time that just simply plays your CDs and DVDs without this other stuff. Anyone know how to get this? (Oh, by the way, when I did the download from Quick Time's site, I unchecked the option for I-tunes)
    Thanks!

2. t bone

t bone

if you open the player then...
    edit>preferences>player preferences....in "other" uncheck the "show content guide at startup"
    then apply>ok
    close the player and then open it up again, it should open as just the player without the other nonsense

3. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Yes, that got rid of all the other nonsense - thanks. Only problem is that I still don't see any command to click on to play a dvd. When I put a DVD in my computer, I get a window asking me if I want to play it in Windows Media Player, but not in Quick Play. Any ideas?

4. stantley

stantley

As far as I know Quicktime doesn't play regular DVD's. It could play .mov or .mpg files that were burned to a DVD, but not the standard DVD .vob files.

5. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

That solves the question. The stuff we played in the past were movies we took with our digital camera and either had in the hard drive or burned to a DVD. Thanks for your help.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Media Player Classic, combined with Quicktime Alternative and Real Alternative is a one-stop player that will play .mov, .rm, and all other Real and Quicktime formats, as well as flash movies and DVD's. No ads, no popups, and all the same browser plugins as the original players.

7. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

I have had a good bit of success with the VLC media player. Are you familiar with it? A free download. So far, I haven't found anything it won't play. No apparent baggage with it. The biggest help was with a situation with my son's laptop - Vista was incompatible with his quicktime movies and quicktime player, but VLC worked great.
    Is Media Player Classic like Windows Media Player but better or something totally different.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

VLC is very good, too. MPC is basically the old Windows Media Player 6.4 with a lot added under the hood so it can play almost all formats. I have both, just in case. With the alternatives, all Real, Quicktime, and Windows formats can be played with the single player. But installing the alternatives also enables the usual Windows Media Player to play Quicktime .mov files, too.

9. thankful

thankful Thread Starter

Thanks for all the good input. Very helpful.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice