1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I check to see if the USB port is dead?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charleslewis, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charleslewis

charleslewis Thread Starter

I am experiencing a problem hot synching my PDA via the USB port. I am beginning to wonder if I have a hardware problem. Before I run down to the computer store, is there a way to check the USB port to see if it is "alive"? The only connection I have is the hot sync, but I am pretty sure I read somewhere, sometime about a way to check the port via Windows software (using ME).

Can anyone help?

Charles Lewis

2. hw45

hw45

Download USBReady, example here and run it.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If something has failed electrically on the system, that utility might not spot it. Since I don't have any non-working USB ports, I can't say. :) Have you tried the obvious, plugging it into the other USB port? You must have at least two on the machine.

4. charleslewis

I'll try to find USBReady and see what it tells me. In regards to the suggestion I try the other port, I am working on a laptop which has only one -- unless there is a hidden port I can't find!

5. charleslewis

I checked the USBReady program, and it said I had USB capabilities. As someone mentioned, however, it didn't tell me if it was working.

Any other ideas before I try the computer store?

Charles Lewis

6. JohnWill

The cheapest diagnostic is a cheap USB mouse, I've seen them for $2, perfect for finding out if a USB port works. :)

7. hw45

hw45

Before you run you still can check that

8. charleslewis

I'm going to try re-installing Windows today to see if that helps. If not, I'll get the cheap mouse and check the port. If that fails, I guess I'll let the store have a shot at it.

9. JohnWill

FWIW, I downloaded the entire CD Image from the Microsoft site, and the USB tests they do are to insure compatibility of devices and USB hardware, but there isn't a simple diagnostic test to see if the hardware runs. In addition, I know of no way to test a USB port totally without plugging in a USB device, hence my suggestion to have a cheap USB mouse handy...

10. hw45

hw45

A tip reinstalling Windows:
    before you install any drivers, install the chipset driver if necessary ( example VIAin1 if VIA chipset).

11. hw45

hw45

Only an idea:
    some computer cases have USB ports in front. See if the cables are connected on the motherboard. Also check another USB cable.

12. charleslewis

It seems I had more than one problem -- I had corruption with my hard disk drive. I am now running under WindowsXP, so I will see if that solves the problem.

Thanks for all your help.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113823

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice