1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I connect a stereo receiver/Phono Player to my computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhinestones, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhinestones

rhinestones Thread Starter

I just purchased the program called Cool Edit Pro, and wish to record my old records onto CD with my CD Burner. I am using an older Onkyo Stereo Receiver, and professional turntable, Polk Audio Speakers. However, I cannot correctly hook up the receiver to be able to record and play from Cool Edit. I hooked up the receiver on the EPS Main Connector with RCA Phono Plugs, but the RCA Plugs don't really fit into the Sound Card Ports on the back of my Compaq Presario. I also tried connecting to one of the tape ports on the receiver, didn't work at all. When connected to the EPS, I can pick up the radio tuner, it plays fine. But, it seems nothing is being read by my computer. Do I have the wrong connectors? What ports should I use? HELP! 8^)
    Rhinestones

2. rugrat

rugrat

Does your stereo have a headphone jack. If so, is it the mini plug. If you do have a mini plug for the headphones, you can purchase a cable with male mini plugs on both ends and go directly into your line in port on the sound card. Just make sure if you do buy the cable that it is a stereo cable and not mono.
    If you do not have a mini plug, I would check Radio Shack to see if they have a standard to mini plug adapter, then use the headphone jack.

SeeYa

3. rhinestones

rhinestones Thread Starter

Thanks rugrat, I do have a headphone plug on the receiver, but not the cable. I'll purchase one and give it a try! Here's hoping! I'm dying to get that vinyl onto CD!
    Rhinestones

4. statetrav

statetrav

Just did this myself.........You need a Y-Adapter Audio Cable
    It has a 1/8"mini plug which goes into your line in, and 2 RCA plugs on the other end....these you plug into your turntable, or if the ones on the turntable are permanently attached, get the male to male adapters and connect the 2 sets of RCA plugs.
    On the new turntable I just purchased there is a switch under the turntable itself which I have to change when playing thru the computer than when playing thru the stereo system....just wanted you to be aware of it. When I leave it as it is for the stereo I get no sound, when I switch it over, sounds great. I have completed 1 CD and working on the rest......have fun!
    If you already know all this, sorry to repeat......I had to learn all this by trial and error and had hoped to help someone else out...

5. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

6. statetrav

statetrav

Excuse me......I posted this reply this morning and haven't been back on.........I have been working, I don't keep my computer connected 24/7......geez, give a guy a chance to reply......

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62711

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice