1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

How can I connect two computers directly to each other?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Fractalogic, Sep 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fractalogic

Fractalogic Thread Starter

Hi!

I want to connect two computers directly to each other so that I can transfer some files between them. One of them is on Windows XP and the other is on Windows Vista. I already have the crossover Ethernet cable and the two computers are already connected. I just need help with network configuration and setting this up. Any help please?

Thanks!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A wizard way to enable file and printer sharing on XP:

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a PC with Windows ME or Windows older than ME.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard (but make sure it is not set to “No Exceptions”). You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

Short description for Vista file sharing.

Go into the network and Sharing Center from the Control Panel or from the Network icon in the Notification Area. Your network must be designated 'Private.' In the Sharing and Discovery section you can configure File sharing, Public folder sharing (similar to Shared Documents in previous Windows), Printer sharing and Password protected sharing.

You may want to change the Workgroup name. To check it or change it right click on "Computer" and select "Properties."

Vista requires that a user account be password protected before it will permit file sharing.

You must uninstall or properly configure any non-windows firewall (security suite).

3. Fractalogic

Can you please quote the exact and full name of this option?

These are the options I have found by doing a web search.

Which one is it? I see no mention of any "gateway". What makes it more difficult for me is that my version of Windows XP is not in English. So it's even more important for me to understand what option you are referring to. If I know the full name of the option I can probably figure out what that corresponds to in my own language.

Here is an example of the wizard windows (English version):
    [​IMG]

Additionally, that third radio button option is literally titled "other" on my version of Windows XP. If I choose that and click Next I get to choose from three additional options. So I have actually five of these radio button options, not just three as depicted in the image above (or the block quote).

Perhaps it has to do with the fact that this is a Service Pack 2 version of Windows XP, and also the fact that this is the Professional version (Windows XP Professional SP2). I'm guessing they have made some changes there.

So it wouldn't hurt to know the exact name of the option you're referring to. These option descriptions alone are fuzzy and kind of hard to understand, but it gets worse when there are more options to choose from and the language is not English.

Addendum

What you see in the screenshot above is actually the second screen. Sorry about that. It's difficult when you have to hunt for images for reference on Google, just to see what a particular dialog window looks like in English, and you are unable to just step through the dialog on your own.

But I think I found the option you were referring to now.

Is that the one?

See screenshot below.

[​IMG]

Well this is the option I have chosen. I typed in a computer name, a workgroup name, and I chose "Turn on file and printer sharing". On the last screen I chose the option "Just Finish The Wizard I don't need to run the wizard on other computers". I will reboot now and follow the rest of the steps. I hope for the best.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I see that you worked it out. :) Probably in your case the most accurate is "This computer belongs to a network that does not have an internet connection" but the "Residential Gateway" option should work fine. I've always used that option even though sometimes I just used a computer to computer network. Sorry for the confusion.

5. Fractalogic

I did what you said but the network status for the Windows XP computer is now "limited or no connectivity".

6. Fractalogic

I have assigned static IP addresses to both computers now. After doing that I got a connection, and now I have a "Network 5" in Windows Vista, set to Private.

Windows XP PC:
    IP: 125.1.1.1
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 125.1.1.1
    DNS primary: 125.1.1.1

Windows Vista PC:
    IP: 125.1.1.2
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 125.1.1.1
    DNS primary: 125.1.1.1

Does this look right?...

I tried pinging and it works in both directions. But file sharing doesn't?...

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I think that it's bad practice to use public IP addresses, but those won't cause you a problem (at least not now) Better to use private addresses.

Need details.

What happens when you go to 'Network' on the Vista? What happens on the XP in 'My Network Places' when you click on 'View Workgroup computers"?

8. Fractalogic

The Vista computer is connected to 192.168.0.1 which is a wireless router and it's connected wirelessly. But there are also two Ethernet ports on the back of the computer, and I am using one of them to connect to the second computer. I suspect that using 192.168.x.x for the wired LAN port would conflict with the wireless connection?... that's why I used 125.1.1.1. What can I use instead?

In short, Vista computer has following connections:
    WLAN (through USB adapter)
    LAN 1
    LAN 2

Can I have different "default gateway" setting for different physical connections? Like 192.168.0.1 for WLAN and 125.1.1.1 for the LAN 1?

But I'm not quite there yet...

On Vista computer
    I can't see the XP computer if I click on Network.
    I can only see the Public folder on the host computer.

On XP computer
    I can't see the Vista computer if I click on My Network Places
    I can only see the Shared Documents folder on the host computer.
    If I click on "View workgroup computers" I get an error. It says the workgroup is not accessible, might have to do with permissions, so on and so forth.

Attached Files:

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Any private IP subnet except for 192.168.0.x.

Most often, but not always, that's a firewall issue.

10. Fractalogic

So I can use 172.16.0.0 through 172.31.255.255?

How about this then...

XP computer
    IP 172.16.0.1
    Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway 172.16.0.1
    DNS primary 172.16.0.1

Vista computer
    IP 172.16.0.2
    Default gateway 172.16.0.1
    DNS primary 172.16.0.1

Is it right to use the same address for IP, default gateway and DNS? And do I need a DNS setting or can I leave that empty?

About firewall... Windows Firewall is enabled on Vista, and on XP. But I checked the XP firewall and it's NOT set to "Don't allow exceptions". Under the Exception tab, "File and Printer sharing" is checked. There's an expired version of Kaspersky Internet Security running but I have paused the protection so it shouldn't do anything.

The Vista firewall usually doesn't cause any problems. And file sharing and network discovery is enabled in Network and Sharing Center. There is no additional firewall installed on the Vista computer.

Attached Files:

11. Fractalogic

I think I got it now! I can get the list of computers in the workgroup now. My conclusion is that default gateway and DNS is redundant (unnecessary). I simply removed these and it worked.

This is the current config.

XP computer
    IP 125.1.1.1

Default gateway: none
    DNS primary: none
    DNS secondary: none

Vista computer
    IP 125.1.1.2

Default gateway: none
    Primary DNS: none
    Secondary DNS: none

I have also disabled Windows Firewall, both on XP and on Vista.

Is it possible to get access to the entire XP system disk from the Vista computer? Or can I only access the Shared Documents folder? To access other folders I need to make a new share for that folder?

Perhaps a FTP client/server configuration is preferred? Can I share the entire disk through FTP?

Update...

I just discovered that, while I can see the XP computers' icon when I click on Network in Vista and I can browse its contents, I cannot do the same the other way around. That is, I can't click on My Network Places in XP computer and browse the contents of the Vista computer. To be precise, I can't access the Public folder, or any printers or anything. But I can see them?... Could this have anything to do with IP address assignment? Client/Server model?...

Attached Files:

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Correct. :) And could cause some problems, so for a network like this they should be blank.

Uninstall it and run the Kaspersky Removal Tool.

Yes, usually. If you mean the partition to which XP is installed (usually called the "C drive" by Windows) you have to share C. If you mean the entire hard drive you have to share all the partitions if there are multiple.

Still having the same problem accessing the Vista's Public folder after getting rid of Kaspersky?

13. Fractalogic

Thanks for your help! I haven't uninstalled Kaspersky, just not yet. I don't think that's the problem. But it's disabled now.

For the purpose of testing I have created a new share on the Vista computer, as follows.

Share name: Share 1
    Local path: C:\Share 1
    Network path: \\125.1.1.2\Share 1
    Account: Everyone
    Permissions: Full control

Now using the XP computer as local, and Vista as remote, I can access the following.

I can access \\125.1.1.2\
    I cannot access \\125.1.1.2\Public\
    I cannot access \\125.1.1.2\Share 1\

The error message says they are not available and that access is denied. So I can only see them, since I can view \\125.1.1.2\ but I cannot access any of the shares.

Now, I have also created two identical (same name) accounts on both the XP and on the Vista computer. So if I log off my default admin user account on the XP computer and log in with the new account (also admin) and try to access these shares on the Vista computer, then this is what I get.

I can access \\125.1.1.2\
    I still can't access \\125.1.1.2\Public\
    But I can access \\125.1.1.2\Share 1\

So the Share 1 becomes accessible but the Public share is still not accessible.

I have checked the sharing options and permissions for the Public folder, it looks OK. But for some reason I cannot access it.

This has definitely to do with Windows networking and configuration rather than simple things like firewall, e.g. Windows Firewall, or Kaspersky.

Well, at least now I know that file sharing works between the two computers. I can copy over files from the XP computer to the \\125.1.1.2\Share 1\ on the Vista computer. This way I can exchange files between them. I am looking into the so called hidden administrative shares in Windows such as c$, but I haven't managed to get this working. After some research I got it working on Vista, but not on XP yet.

14. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    With the same password, to keep things as simple as possible?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1107864

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice